Chapter 104: Anger

Your POV

"The opera was wonderful, but I'm glad we can get down to business," I cheered as I laid down the rest of the food on the glass table.

Clovis's had the great idea that going to the Opera show would be fun and a great way to distract ourselves from what had occurred earlier today. Not to mention, he could quite quickly figure out I wasn't in the best of moods.

It wasn't a date; it was more of two friends hanging out. I dressed in a long black dress that pleased my curves. Fortunately, I was lucky enough my bump was still tiny, so nothing was noticeable yet.

My eyes landed themselves on a Clovis hard at work. He was doing extensive research to unfold the plot the Chancellor had forced upon him. "If you look here, the Separatists haven't been repaying any interest on their loans." he pointed on the top right corner of his device. Slightly bent down, I squinted to take a closer look.

"But still, the Banking Clan is promising to lend credits to the Republic, credits they simply don't have." he summarized. We already knew all this information; we needed more to get to the bottom of all of this. I shook my head, "But where have all the savings gone?" I asked.

"Each of the files that you downloaded shows hundreds and hundreds of small withdrawals, small enough to remain undetected individually, but as a sum total..." he clicked on the upper right corner. "A devastating theft," he sighed. He was looking over this shoulder, away from the terminal, and looking closely at the black dress I was wearing before licking his lips softly.

I coughed to break up the tension I didn't want. "Whoever is behind this is no fool. We need to find out who's benefiting. We're still lacking a critical piece of information." I turned towards the glass coffee table I had set up filled with food.

He sighed in response, closing down his device. "Whatever we find must remain between only you and me. This would be highly dangerous information should it get into the wrong hands," he commented as we walked towards the couches.

I grabbed the large glass holder pouring water into my wine glass." Of course," I smiled softly, sitting opposite Clovis. He stared at me confused, well, at the drink in my hand. "You drink water out of a wine cup?" He asked, chuckling.

"Uh yes, this reminds me when we had three nights to prepare for Padme's Senate hearing to rescue Bromlarch's planetary aqueduct system." I stirred up. I tried everything to divert the topic. Even drinking water in a wine glass was too much information.

My mind went into circles; I grabbed another glass of wine, filling that one up with wine and handing it to Clovis. "And together, we saved people from total drought and famine." He chuckled again, bringing our glasses together in celebration.

"I don't think either of us got any sleep that whole week, let alone ate anything." He added. I laughed while taking another sip. It was a memory to look upon, oh how young we were. I didn't depend on the Jedi but instead my fellow members of the Senate. Teckla. A sigh escaped my lips in remembrance of her.

"We're not as young as we used to be," I said playfully. Clovis was, after all, older than I was, and I was still pretty young in my book. "Well, we're not that old either." He commented.

His body sat up from the couch and found its way to mine. Sitting next to my body, his hand wrapped itself around my shoulder, pulling my body closer to his.

I cleared my throat, "You might be right." I quickly answered, standing up, picking up a few plates from the table, and quickly adding a variety of vegetables. "Perhaps we should eat something."

There was a mere moment of silence before one question popped into my mind. "Clovis, why have you gotten so involved with the Munns?" I asked, still placing food onto the plates.