Chapter 31

It has been four months with no contact with him. All I heard from him was through Alexandra that told me he begged her to tell me he wanted to explain. Other than that she told me what was going on in his life, whenever I got too curious.
We haven't spoken for so long that I missed the way his voice sounded like heaven to me. How smoothly it pronounced every word.
I heard a sigh from the other end of the line and some ruffling. He was about to hang up, no no no he couldn't. I tried to speak again, but nothing other than a little squeak. The ruffling started again;
"Heather, are you there? Let me explain. I need you... meet me at the basketball court in an hour. Please"
I wondered if my heart would be able to take it. The pain it held already by the sound of his voice was insane, even after four months he makes the butterflies appear and go wild by only saying my name.
I finally found my voice and a small yes left my lips. I said yes. I agreed to meet with him. I've let my mind control for long enough, it's time to let my heart lead the way...
I went back to Aubrey and she immediately spotted my flustered face. I started telling her about it, and how I had to go if I wanted to make it.
She told me to go ahead. I rushed to my car to fumble with my keys to find the one I needed.
Check-up for myself I have to get a hold of my keys.
I was driving on the highway to get home to our town since Aubrey and I's favorite place was in our neighboring town. My mind was occupied with everything else then to focus on the road. I had one particular question floating around in my head.
"What am I doing with my life right now" that single question that had no answer, kept repeating. I tried deafening it by music, radio, talk shows on the radio and even singing to the music. Nothing deafened the judging voice appearing in my head.
I screamed "Do you think I know" out into the empty car of mine. My body was shaking lightly, and I wanted to gain control before anything would happen. When my eyes focused back onto the road a car was in front of me and I hit the brakes trying to prevent a car accident. The sad truth is I couldn't.
My car barely touched the person in front, but the driver who was behind me had been inattentive and his car bumped into mine with a high speed limit. The airbag in my car had folded out, before my head hit the steering wheel.
All went black, one moment I was conscious and the next everything was black. All thoughts I had before had vanished.
The only sound I heard was the running sirens on the ambulances that arrived in the distance. They seemed so far away. I tried to grab onto my conscious side, but before I had the chance it all completely faded away.
I woke up the first time in an ambulance. The paramedics checked my pulse and took a blood test. The usual stuff. I showed a bit of consciousness to me, but as soon as they started asking questions the small bit of consciousness I gained from fighting to come back. Disappeared as soon as they exhausted my mind with questions and I disappeared off into the darkness again.
I woke up to a faint talking. It sounded far away but close at the same time. I was able to open my eyes as I watched around the hospital room.
My head hurt, along with my whole body. It felt as if one thousand needles were injected into my body at once. I looked down to my arm and saw the woman breaking my skin with the needle on the syringe.
"Don't worry, it's nothing bad. Just some anodyne. You seem to be in pain at the moment, which is understandable. I'll tell your parents you're awake when I'm done" the nurse said as she continued her action. After five seconds she cleaned up and walked out of the room. Only a minute passed by as my mom barged into the room making it seem happier than before. The boring dull gray room suddenly seemed brighter.
My mom hurried towards me and hugged me carefully. She then looked towards the door and told me there was someone to see me. In the doorway stood my brother and my father together. My eyes filled with tears. My dad had been out of the country on business and he was finally back. When they were about to move towards me Mason squeezed through them and told them to move their asses. I chuckled at the sass coming from that boy.
He went towards me and hugged me tight. I sighed and held the urge to tell him I had just been in a car crash and just enjoyed his embrace. My mother took Mason away, but before she had the chance he told me a special lad was here to see me. He followed by moaning the name and my face turned red.
My dad arrived next to the hospital bed followed close by my brother. He smiled at me as he sat down carefully so as not to make too many movements. He watched me carefully and kissed my forehead. His smile had a certain safety, sometimes a place isn't home but a person is. My family was home wherever they are, my home is there. That smile has gotten me through many sad periods of my life.
I hugged him as if he would vanish any moment right in front of my eyes. I was afraid that this was part of my unconscious mind playing tricks on me. It's been a year since I saw him the last time, so I wasn't certain it was him. "My beautiful daughter. What am I going to do with your driving skills." I chuckled and he laughed as well. Before standing up letting Hamilton take over. Hamilton jumped into the bed and made my whole body shake. I glared at him because he fully knew that big movements hurted me. He did it on purpose.
What happened to me? A car accident, that I know so far. But I've never gotten into a car crash before. What happened to my thoughts? They led me away from sanity.
After Hamilton left. A sight of a person my heart and mind have missed dearly stood in the doorway with a small teddy bear saying 'Get well soon'. A small smile found my face as I wanted to jump out of the hospital bed and run towards him and connect our lips. But that wasn't possible at the moment since I was connected to all these machines.
So instead I layed back waiting for his next move.

——
Thank you for reading,
Remember to comment, vote and share.