Chapter 30

I had walked the hallways of this school for three months without saying a single word to him. I watched him walk past me with Marcus by his side not glancing my way. My heart sank every time I saw his lips upon another thirsty girl at this school. Something about the action seemed out of place. They tried to gain attention that didn't belong to them. They tried to win a heart that wasn't theirs at the start. Aubrey had caught onto what was happening due a few days without Marcus popping up at our table and Kaden sliding in the seat next to me. She had asked, but I tried to beat around the bushes. She already knew without me telling her. I had to tell her about the last tiny detail that made Kaden and I's relationship distant and cold. Something I hardly ever imagined it would be.
But look at us now. We don't glance at each other's ways and whenever we catch a glance we switch direction or look in another place. Well mostly it's me. Kaden had tried a few times with no luck to get ahold of me. I always escaped his empty tries.
At one point Aubrey and I were at our lunch table eating. She sat down eating her pizza as I told her the bet was back on. She nearly choked on her food after following the choked sentence with "Are you sure that you want that?".
After sometime Nathan and I had started talking together and we actually had a lot of things in common. He was a kind-hearted guy. He had humor and wasn't as nerdy as people judged him to be. 
Sometimes I even dared to accept his offer to do homework at his place. I wasn't quite the fan of that since everything that had happened with Kaden. Especially since I didn't know whether his siblings knew-
Of course nothing dramatic happened beside the complete ghosting him from my perspective. Which wasn't fair. But I was in love with the fool. I know that now. Because after a month of silence my eyes were still drained from tears. My cheeks had stains of mascara late at night. Something I've never experienced before. I wondered whether the pain was ever going to numb. If he would always make my heart clench whenever his name was mentioned in a sentence or when he walked past me in the hallways.
I had talked with Alexandra a lot as well. She and I became good friends. She told me that she was well aware of the family business. But she didn't participate in it because it went against her morals. She told me that she loved her family dearly, she simply wasn't a fan of their business.
I walked onto school property with Nathan by my side. He had fallen asleep during our homework session together. We had arrived together and I had to apologize to Aubrey since we always go to school together and I totally blew her off today.
"Aubrey" I yelled down the hallway as I spotted her at our lockers. She watched me with Nathan and she shook her head. I walked past the people staring at us. Might be because of the strange combo.
My eyes caught Kadens and his eyes begged me to tell him what he was witnessing wasn't real. But I wasn't strong enough to let him know that. Otherwise I would run back into the warmth of his arms. Those arms that felt so safe. Glancing into those eyes that haunted my dreams of pleasure.
I walked past him and talked with Nathan as we reached Aubrey. She chuckled and said hi to Nathan. Nathan seemed to be flushed over Aubrey's simple single word to him. It was adorable. But also enough for me to know, I wasn't winning this bet-
Aubrey seemed to have fallen for Nathan as well.
I was happy that Nathan actually might not be a bet and someone who would make my best friend happy. Due to the fact we started a bet about him. Which is quite rude. But he isn't going to know that.
My mind was occupied with one person anyways. I wasn't meant to win this bet either way and Aubrey already told me that our deal about the loser paying the first semester was off. We shared that payment.
Kaden had sent several messages begging for a chance to explain. I haven't answered any of them. I tried to tell myself to let him. My heart begged my mind. But that was a weakness. A weakness I couldn't allow. So I didn't. I ignored all of his messages for the past three months.
That day Nathan and I entered the school together. We had walked to the class the three of us shared. I sat in the back while Aubrey and Nathan had placed themselves in front of me.
While the teacher arrived and started the lessons I sat in the back doodling in my notebook. He looked at me and his eyes held regret. I wanted to say I'm sorry for the past month, but that would mean I gave in and that would let my heart win and she wasn't strong enough to win.
When the teacher had dismissed us I rushed out of class while Aubrey and Nathan followed quickly behind. Nathan had spent a lot of time with the rest of our group and they enjoyed his company.
A month more had passed and we still haven't traded any sentences with each other. He didn't try anymore. After four months of silence he gave up. He was occupied with the attention of the girls it seemed. Something about that still bothered me and made my heart clench with pain. The pain of knowing that it could've been prevented.
Aubrey and Nathan had spent a lot of time together and they resembled a cute couple. I wanted to interfere sometimes because I missed Kaden. But she deserves happiness.
Kaden had red lipstick on the collar of his white shirt. I saw the only girl at this school except for me daring to use such a color. Melissa carrington.
Nathan had become more popular throughout the past couple of months. Aubrey had helped him dress and sorted out how he should match colors. Trust me she gave him a powerpoint presentation and the poor guy sat through the whole presentation without yawning. I fell asleep during her presentation.
They were a great match. He listened to her rant and she helped him out of his comfort zone.
I had spent time with Caleb during the past months. We had attended a lot of different activities.
We had upcoming exams which held my attention. I was focused on my exams instead of the lonely thoughts of Kaden.
I helped Caleb, Jason and Grayson study for our Chemistry exam and the English exam we had coming up. Caleb joked around with a british accent while Grayson and Jason stood looking confused.
Aubrey and I had decided to call off the bet again and she occupied my thoughts when they were too unbearable. So basically the month was spent with Aubrey and Nathan falling more in love than before. Caleb , Jason and Grayson being foolish and fooling around with me in theme parks and other places.
Aubrey and I sat at our favorite pizza bar eating and talking. We had been talking for a while and she had told me about how her relationship was going with Nathan. I was happy for her. But I had kept her in the dark for a bit too long.
"The reason why Kaden and I lost contact is because one of his friends contacted me. Well one of his gang members. Our suspicions were right. I wasn't able to take it so I left... and well ghosted him."
Aubrey sat at the opposite side staring at me as if she couldn't believe my words. But she had warned me all along and I fell in love with a gang leader. When she was about to reply my phone rang showing an unknown caller id. I excused myself to Aubrey and she nodded for me to go ahead and take it.
I answered the call as a well-known voice spoke "Heather, is this you?"
My throat tightened and I couldn't say a thing. He finally called. Normally I would see his number and hang up. So I mean he finally outsmarted me.
I tried to say a word, but the voice I before had was long gone. I wondered whether I would find it during this call.

———
(Edited 13.03.22)
Thank you for reading,
Remember to vote, comment and share.