Chapter 17 The Tournament Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

Number Two deadpanned as Three facepalmed.

Endeavor: Do you think I'd tell you?

Diamond: Figure out how to teach on your own, idiot!

Endeavor: You look as clueless as usual, and it's getting on my nerves.

All Might: *meekly* S-Sorry.

Enji Todoroki shoved passed him, moving further down the steps. Before he could get far, Three called to him.

Diamond: Enji. . . *whispers* About Shoto. Don't forget what we talked about.

The Flame Hero froze. . .

Endeavor: . . . I won't.

And so, Endeavor took his leave.

All Might: What was that about?

Diamond: You just focus on getting the teaching gig to work. We'll worry about this. . . .

———————————————————————

Hall

Todoroki: You've heard of Quirk marriages, right?

Izuku: Only the basics. . . Don't tell me you-

Todoroki: They became a problem for the second and third generation after super powers appeared. Choosing a spouse based only on strengthening your own Quirk and passing it onto your children, forcing people into marriages, and that's not even scratching the surface of that the Quirk Clans did.

Izuku: Quirk Clans. . .?

Todoroki: As a man with accomplishments and money, he won over my mother's relatives and got a hold of my mother's Quirk. He's trying to fulfill his own desire by raising me to be a Hero to surpass All Might. . .

Izuku: . . .

Todoroki: It's annoying. . . I won't become a tool of scum like that!

Now, his glare relented as he softly gazed to the palm of his right. . .

Todoroki: In my memories, my mother is always crying. "Your left side is unsightly."

His left hand placed itself over his scarred left eye.

Todoroki: She said that as she poured boiling water on me.

Izuku: . . . Todoroki.

Todoroki: I picked a fight with you to show him what I could do without using my damn old man's Quirk. . .

No, I'll reject him completely by winning first place without using it.

It took a moment for Midoriya to come to his senses, recovering from the revelations he had just heard. In that time, Shoto began to leave. . . but the green haired boy stopped him.

Todoroki: No matter how you're connected to All Might, I'll only use my right side to rise above you. . . Sorry for wasting your time.

Izuku: . . . I. . .

He stopped to listen.

Izuku: I've always been supported by others. That was the case earlier, too. I'm only here because of the people supporting me. . .

The wind picked up as his self loathing turned to determination.

Izuku: Saving people with a smile, the greatest Hero, All Might. . . That what I want to be. In order to do that, I have to be strong enough to become Number One.

Their eyes met.

Izuku: My motivation may be trivial compared to yours, but I can't lose, either! I have to live up to the hopes of everyone who supports me. That declaration of war you gave earlier, I'll return it.