Chapter 2 To be a Hero

If you don't want to be a hero, then what do you want to be?

I. . . I don't know.

So you're attending U.A. for General Studies? Any idea as to what you'll major in?

I don't know.

You've done all this training for your body, your Quirk, heck you've been skipping school for it. What are you trying to accomplish?

I don't know.

You have so much potential, please just tell me you'll do something meaningful with it. . .

. . . I don't know.

———————————————————————

Even if I don't have a Quirk, can I become a Hero?!

Izuku Midoriya stood atop a rooftop, having yelled the golden question the only man he believe could truly give him an answer. . . The Symbol of Peace, casually dressed, turned to the young boy. It was quite the series of events that led them to this point, a sludge villain, a famboyish breakdown, and an utterly stupid latching on to the Hero's leg as he flew away. It all led to this. . .

Izuku: Can someone. . . without a Quirk be like you?

All Might: . . . Without a Quirk? (eyes widen)

Steam began to escape his body, the man hunching over and cursing beneath his breath, the green-haired boy none the wiser. . .

Izuku: It might've been because I don't have a Quirk, that I'm always made fun of. . . Maybe that's why. . . I don't know. But I think saving people is super cool, saving people with the greatest smile. . . I want to be the greatest hero, like you. . .!

And the poor boy deadpanned at the sight of a scrawny old man standing where All Might once did. . .

Izuku: Y-Y-You're deflating. . . Wait! (looks around) Up until now, huh?! Fake? A fake?! You're so skinny!

???: I am All Might-

And blood dripped out of his mouth.

Izuku: (shrieks) No way!

All Might: You know how people always suck in their guts at the pool. . . It's like that.

Izuku: (dies) It can't be. . . All Might is fearless. . . He saves everyone with a smile. He's the greatest.

All Might: A fearless smile, huh. . .? (sighs and sits) Now that you've seen me like this, young man, make you sure don't write about it online. Even accidentally. 

The greenette's eyes widened as the Hero lifted up his plain white shirt. . . revealing a nasty scar right over his ribs. It was a nasty red violet, almost seeming like his skin was cracking from the single point.

All Might: It's an injury I got from an enemy's attack five years ago. Half my respiratory organs were destroyed, and I lost my entire stomach. I've been emaciated from repeated surges and the aftereffects. 

Izuku: . . .

All Might: Right now, I can only work as a Hero for about three hours a day.

Izuku: That can't be. . .! Five years ago. . . was that when you fought Toxic Chainsaw?

All Might: You really know your stuff. . . but a punk like him couldn't defeat me. No, this was a fight that wasn't made public to the world. I asked that it wasn't.

The Symbol of Peace glared at the ground for a moment before meeting the boy's gaze.

All Might: I will protect people with a smile. . . The Symbol of Peace cannot be daunted by evil. I smile to show the pressure of Heroes, and to trick the fear inside me. . .