five .ೃ࿐

I knew I looked bothered. More bothered than usual. I couldn't help it. People kept glancing at me in the café, frankly I didn't blame them. My constant head scratching and antsy foot tapping was most likely annoying. I don't think the coffee helped me either. 

My mind wouldn't shut off after Clay stopped texting me, he had momentarily helped ease my overthinking, although it didn't last long. 

Something about Gina's attitude didn't sit right with me either. It was like she was too happy, her kisses were too forced, she just seemed off. I couldn't shake the feeling. 

It was dreary again outside, the clouds were a dark grey and it was hard to make out the sun attempting to shine through. I wound up here somehow, despite planning on staying home and cleaning. I just needed some time to think. However, I was still hoping someone would walk through the entrance. 

That somebody being Clay Ambrose. 

Just kidding. 

But I'm also not kidding. 

I took another sip of my coffee and checked my phone. Gina had gone to work at around noon, another meeting was taking place sometime at two and she had to prepare with her team to give off a good impression. She also mentioned something about picking up cupcakes at the bakery to win them over, though I wasn't sure I heard it all properly because I wasn't paying attention. 

As much as I didn't think she'd answer me, I sent a text to her anyway. 

Adalyn : Meeting went well?

Surprisingly, she responded within the next two minutes.

Gina : Yes, it did! Want to have some coffee to celebrate? I'm sure I'll be able to slip away for awhile.

After sending her a quick yes, I glanced out the window at the traffic and all of the pedestrians walking by. My brain wandered off into wondering how good Gina really was at the whole slipping away thing. 

Had she ever done that? Slipped away sometime when I wasn't looking, or when I wasn't good enough for her. I'd never do that to her and I felt bad for assuming, but the underwear? The phone calls? What did that even mean? 

If my suspicions came true, what would I do without her? 

"Babe! Hi!" 

I jumped, startled as Gina settled in across from me with her green tea frappuccino. She looked frazzled, her hair slightly out of place and her white blazer ruffled. Busy as always, I suppose. 

"Hey," I gave her a soft smile. A forced one. "How was work?"

"It was so good! We got the gig," she was grinning ear to ear as she lowered her head to sip her tea out of the straw. 

I bit my lip, considering before I shot a question at her. "Which business was this again?"

I knew it was wrong to shoot things at her. It wasn't right and if I had an issue with her, I should just be straightforward and ask her. But I wanted to see if she really went out to work this morning or if she slipped away from me, just like she'd slipped away from her work to have this coffee with me. 

"Oh! This one is located a little over ten hours away, they wanted to help us advertise our content." 

"You already have an advertiser I thought?" I raised a brow at her and took a sip of my coffee. 

I was on dangerous ground. I knew this and I knew that Gina hated it even more when I suspected she was doing things behind my back. She hated to be called a liar. 

"We do," she replied slowly, almost confused. "Where are all of these questions coming from?"

I didn't answer her fast enough, instead I didn't meet her eyes and glanced out the window instead. I could feel her gaze on me, observing and piecing things together as the frown that I could see from the corner of my eye deepens. 

"Do you think that I'm seeing someone else?" Gina finally asked, her voice low, dripping in something that seemed close to venom. 

I opened my mouth to speak, then shook my head and hid it in my hands. 

This was so stupid. How could I ever think so low of someone like Gina? She was busy. She ran her own makeup company, for Christ's sake. Of course she was busy with meeting after meeting. How could I have ever thought that for one second she was lying to me? She didn't have to remember the underwear. She has enough on her mind to begin with, things more important than lacy red underwear that have been in the crease of the couch for who knows how long. 

"Adalyn, answer me."

I glanced at her, our eyes met and I saw the pain and the slight anger in her eyes. 

"Shit, I'm sorry G." I shake my head as I began to explain. "This isn't what I meant to imply, it's just that you've been so busy and all your meetings just seem a little abrupt sometimes and last night's call was so weird, what else was I supposed to think?"

Gina shook her head, laughing. 

She was laughing?

"Adalyn, baby. Are you for real? Why would I cheat on someone as wonderful and as beautiful as you, baby?" She leaned forward and took my hand in hers. "I know I've been busy lately, babe. I know it's a lot sometimes. But I promise, it'll calm down soon. I just want to make sure everything is all up and running before I take days off." 

I nodded. 

I felt so stupid. How could I ever assume she was doing something so bad when she was such a good person? She loved me. I loved her. We were good, right? 

"How about we take some time tonight. We can go to a club? Get drinks, dance, take a taxi home? Maybe I can go down on you again," she shot me a wink and I blushed, thinking of all the things she was capable of doing to me. "How does that sound?"

"Good," I smiled. 

"Good." She smiled back. "I promise you, Adalyn. We are okay."