one .ೃ࿐

The shop was quiet today. 

Only two customers on this dreary Saturday morning. A woman, probably in her late twenties, searching for the last Fifty Shades of Grey book, Fifty Shades Freed. Probably looking for some sort of excitement, a release in her not-so-exciting, still visiting her parents every second day because of sheer boredom, life.  The other was a young boy, probably seventeen or so and he was in a deep search for the next graphic novel of a new compelling series and he was in a rush to get home and read the newest edition. 

I think I respect him more than the first lady, (she was kind of a bitch).

It was five minutes until closing time, I made my way to the little shelves filled with books and carefully made sure everything was in place and then wiped down the glass casing of the crystals we had set up recently. I left the plants alone though, I figured I'd water them tomorrow morning seeing as they hadn't had much warmth to soak up the moisture and the sun today anyways.

It was only noon and it felt like it could be at least four o'clock already based on the state of the sky. I couldn't remember the temperature when I'd checked, only that I was pretty sure it was supposed to rain. 

Gina and I had planned for a late lunch at a nearby coffee shop and I couldn't be late to this one again. Our last date was discarded because of my tardiness and I will not let her down like that again. 

I punched out on the machine before I shut off the lights and made my way outside the shop. I locked the door behind me with the company keys and started to make my way down the street to my car. 

There was a slight breeze outside, it felt almost chilly. It was definitely a noticeable difference in this constant summer heat we've had lately. Honestly, it was kind of a relief. The heat had been unbearable recently. 

As I got into the front seat of my car, I made sure to send Gina a quick text to tell her I'm on my way. The radio made me jump, I had forgotten to turn the music down this morning after I had managed to parallel park (this took me a whole fifteen minutes).

The coffee shop was only ten minutes away and I had spotted Gina's car parked outside and I concluded she beat me there. But, with a quick peek at my dashboard, I wasn't late. So that was a great start.

After I had locked my car I made my way to the entrance and I was greeted with the smell of freshly baked pastries and strong coffee. I spotted Gina at a corner booth, as well as the two coffees she had ordered for herself and I. 

"Gina, love!" I grinned as I climbed into the booth across her. "How was the meeting this morning?"

"It was long. I think we've finally sealed the deal with the advertisers though. I'm definitely hoping so," Gina chuckled softly. "I don't think I can handle bribing yet another company."

Gina and I have been together for two years. We met at a bar on the night of her birthday and long story short, the night may have ended with me in her bed. We hit it off the morning after, going for breakfast at a cute breakfast joint she knew downtown and since then we'd been glued at the hip. 

"Well, what did they say to you, G?" I sipped my coffee and I felt my lips pull into a smile as I tasted the almond milk I knew Gina had specifically ordered for me, because I was terribly lactose intolerant. 

"They said it sounded promising and it would fit well with their company aesthetic. Their graphic designer was there today and she even drew out a quick sketch of what our billboards could look like." Gina hid her excitement in her sip of coffee.

I gasped. "Billboards, G? Babe! Holy shit, that's so good for you guys!"

"I know, isn't it fantastic!" Gina reached out and held my hand across the table. "I am so excited to see what they have in store for us. They even promised a thirty percent discount on their yearly price for our first two years for us to be certain we like it!"

Gina's business had begun a bit before we had met. She was the CEO of a huge makeup company in the upscale part of the city. They focused on vegan, cruelty-free brands that don't harm people, animals, or landfills. Crazy, right? It wasn't the bullshit version either, I'd seen the factory. There was an endless amount of plants and grains to help create a perfect blend of makeups for all skin types. 

I made eye contact with her for a moment and smiled. "I am so proud of you." 

"I couldn't have made it this far without your support, Lyn." Gina smiled at me. 

"My support in the bedroom or my support in the workplace?" I smirked back at her. 

"Take your mind out of the gutter, Adalyn!" She laughed, but she was blushing in embarrassment. "God, you're so naughty."

"You love it."

Gina laughed, then bit her lip. "Do you think you could give me some more of that support later tonight?"

I squeezed her hand and winked at her. "Absolutely, love."