33

Elle jerked back a bit before surrendering to the kiss. She placed her hand on the back of Joe's neck and intensified the kiss, while Joe's tongue had by now found its way into Elle's mouth.

Joe released his hand and placed it on Elle's back, pulling her body closer to him as Elle's hand moved into his hair and she nuzzled his head with her nails.

Sighing, she broke away from the kiss and rested her forehead against Joe's. "We shouldn't be doing this" she whispered as she felt Joe's breath on her chin and breathed a kiss on his lips.

Just as she was about to pull back, Joe kissed her back before they resumed resting forehead to forehead. "Why not?" he asked in a whisper, placing his lips on hers again.

After a few seconds, Elle disengaged again. "Because if I do, I might fall for you" she whispered back, sighing and resting her head on his chest.

"what would be so bad about that?" Joe lay back on the grass and put an arm around her, stroking her back lightly.

"It wouldn't change the fact that I don't want a relationship right now, Joe" Elle sighed again, tracing the Bengal logo on Joe's chest.

"Not even if I fall for you too?" Joe asked and the disappointment was clear in his voice. Elle just remained silent, but that was answer enough for him.

"Why not, Elle?" he asked, slowly running his thumb up and down Elle's spine, sending pleasant goosebumps down her body.

"Relationships are so complicated and someone always ends up getting hurt. I already have enough on my plate to have to try to have a healthy relationship on top of all the stress. I can't even manage to see my best friend every week, so how will that be when I'm in a relationship?"

"But wouldn't it be easier because we see each other every day. After all, we both work here and see each other anyway, whether we want to or not?" Joe asked.

Sighing, Elle wrapped her arm around Joe's torso and slid a little closer to him. Her leg she laid over his.

"Work is another point of why this isn't a good idea. You're theoretically my patient, you're my work, Joe. I don't think many people would approve of that"

"But could we care less? Whatever they would say about us, it doesn't change anything between us"

Elle scoffed. "Not for you it doesn't, Joe. You're the quarterback, the star, nothing would happen to you, but I'm just an interchangeable variable. I could lose my job"

"Do you really think Zac and Nick would let that happen? Do you think I would let them fire you because of me?"

"they can't bail me out of everything either, Joe. Besides, you can't let them by just ending this before it's too late" Elle swallowed the lump in her throat.

"And what are you suggesting, Elle? That we just work together and pretend we don't both want more?" Joe sighed.

"What other choice do we have, Joe? I need this job and I can't risk Nick or Zac taking the fall for it. It just can't happen" Elle broke away from Joe and sat up, which he immediately did to her.

"Elle, I can't shake the feeling that there's something you're not telling me. Why don't you want a relationship?" Joe asked, looking at her with concern.

"I'm not keeping anything from you. I just don't want anything solid right now, ok?" she got a little louder.

Joe sighed. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you" he apologized. "It's okay, but we should get back. I have to get back to work" Elle mumbled distantly, standing up and patting the dirt off her clothes.

Joe knew he would only ruin the mood even more if he kept drilling, which is why he just silently got up, took the ball and followed Elle back inside.

They didn't speak a word to each other, walking silently side by side, the mood quite awkward and tense. After taking the ball back into the booth, they made their way back to Elle's office.

"Oh, there you are, Elle..." Nick, who had apparently been waiting outside Elle's office door, looked quite surprised when Elle came around the corner with Joe in tow. "What are you still doing here, Joe?" he asked, confused.

"He..." Elle stammered. "I somehow forgot my cell phone today and happened to run into Elle, who helped me look for it" Joe came to her rescue, demonstratively raising his cell phone in the air, while Elle just nodded quickly.

Nick eyed them both with a raised eyebrow. "Oh, I see, where did you leave it?""At my place, probably when I was changing" Joe shrugged and Elle was glad that he was apparently pretty good at making excuses, at the same time hoping that she wasn't as red as a tomato yet, since she was really bad at it.

"well then it's a good thing you found it" Nick couldn't suppress the smirk. "I was actually coming to see you Elle because we were going to talk tonight weren't we?" he turned to Elle who cleared her throat to get her speech back.

"oh, sorry, I totally forgot. I'll pack my stuff and then come to you, ok?" she smiled at him as innocently as she could. Nick nodded. "Sounds good to me. I'll be in my office. See you in a bit..." he turned to Joe. "...And you have a good evening" he grinned and squeezed between the two of them.

Sighing, Elle dropped into her chair in the office before taking one deep breath and starting to pack her things. She hated lying and didn't know how much longer she could keep up pretending nothing was going on in front of Nick. He just knew her too well.

"Elle?" Joe broke the silence between them as he too packed his things. Elle didn't respond, which is why he said her name again, sighing as she lifted her eyes and looked at him.

"Are you mad at me?" Joe asked cautiously. Elle slumped back in her chair and shook her head. "No, I'm not mad...I just...don't want to be pushed into anything, and you saw last Thursday what happens when...when I'm pushed too hard."

Joe nodded. "yeah, sorry about that. I didn't mean to make you feel like I was trying to push you into something" "it's ok. Just please promise me that you will keep your statement that no matter what I decide, you will accept how things go between us and not hold it against me, ok?" Joe nodded again. "I promise" Elle nodded in satisfaction before turning back to her packing.

"Elle?" Joe again caught her attention. "Is our game still on tomorrow?" Elle had to smile as she nodded. "I'm not going to pass up the chance to beat you after all" she winked at him, which made Joe grin.

Thanks for 22k reads and 700 likes!!!
Really appreciate that!!

Question: what would you say is your biggest talent?

my answer: I don't really think I have a thing I'm really talented in. My talent is more to be ok in many things like writing, painting, sports and math. I'm not an absolut expert but I'm better at it than other people haha. Sounds like I'm bragging about it but I'm really not!! It's hard to explain hahaha

Comment your answer and like the chapter!!

WHO-DEY 🧡