52

"Hey Joey" Joe's mom answered the call after the second ring. "Hey mom, how was your day?" he asked, leaning back on the couch. "Oh, you know how students can be. Cute, sweet but pretty exhausting in between. By the way, I was asked a lot about your victory yesterday" his mother laughed.

She was the principal of an elemantary school near his hometown Athens and her students were her pride and joy, even if they sometimes got on her nerves. She loved her job more than anything and was always happy to talk about it.

But today she was more interested in another topic than telling Joe about her students, because unlike usual, she kept the summary of her workday pretty short before listening to what Joe had to say about his day and getting right to the point without much fuss.

"Joe, you know why I wanted to talk to you on the phone, so start telling me about this girl. Who is she?" she asked, which made Joe laugh. His mother's curiosity was very amusing and he knew she had wanted a smart girlfriend for Joe for a long time.

"Her name is Elle. I met her through the club. She's an athletic trainer with us and took over my recovery training when Nick was ill" he explained, noticing how the smile immediately came to his face at the thought of Elle.

"An atheltic trainer then? Elle, nice name" Joe heard exactly that his mother was smiling. "Her full name is Eleanor Simmons, but everyone just calls her Elle or Simmons" he added. "Eleanor, Elle Simmons" his mother repeated his words. "Tell me more about her"

Without hesitation he told his mother everything he knew about Elle. Where she came from, what she had told him about her family and so on. The only thing he didn't mention to his mother was Elle's panic attacks. He just thought it was too personal, even if it was his mother.

When Elle showed up at his house at a little before 8:30, he hadn't been done talking on the phone for five minutes. Smiling, he opened the door for Elle and immediately pulled her in, closed the door and kissed her.

"Ok, hey" Elle greeted him laughing as he let her go from his stormy greeting. Her hair was still wet, probably having showered after the gym, and knotted into a bun. She wore a loose black Rick and Morty shirt and gray sweatpants.

Her backpack hung casually over one shoulder, but she set it down on the floor as she slipped out of her red and black plaid jacket and slung it over the back of the couch as she always did.

"where's the good vibes coming from?" she asked with a smile as she grinned at Joe and planted a quick kiss on his lips. "the good mood comes from you being here" Joe pulled her into his arms and turned his head as her bun almost hit his face.

Elle laughed. "I'm glad to hear that. Did the talk with your mom go well?" she asked as Joe took her hand and they ran into the kitchen together. "Are you kidding? Of course the conversation went well. We talked about you" Joe grinned at her.

"It went so well, in fact, that my mom is dying to meet you, even though I've pointed out several times that we're not really dating yet, so maybe it's a little too soon" Joe shrugged, which made Elle laugh.

"So you should hide from my mum after the next few games until she goes home again, otherwise she'll claw you and you won't be able to get rid of her anytime soon" Joe grinned as he opened the fridge.

"Speaking of my mom, she cooked yesterday, but well, I didn't eat with them, so we can just heat up the leftovers if that's okay with you" he looked at Elle.

"Food from your mom? Sounds like a dream" she grinned. "My mom is the best cook there is!" Joe explained as he pulled two boxes out of the fridge. " „Its my favorite, grilled chicken with sauteed peppers and onions, white rice and a little cayenne pepper sprinkled on top".