Realism

Origin walked Oleander to his bedroom door. "This was one of the best days I have had, Oleander. Thanks for going out with me.... I didn't mean that to sound... I just meant thanks for spending time with me." He sighed. It sounded like they had gone on a date. "Nothing I say can fix it!"

Oleander laughed. "Not really. Origin, I know what you mean and thank you for the same thing. I had a great time today and I never figured I would have a day like this. I can't tell you what it means to me." He cleared his throat. He really liked Origin. He was okay for a vampire. He kept forgetting that he was a vampire.

"Good night." Origin watched Oleander as the door closed. Origin was kicking himself. He kissed a man. He sighed as he got into his car. He liked kissing that man.

Oleander woke up to more purring. He was laying on his back and Jack was curled up on his chest. There was a knock on the door. "What?" He whispered because he didn't want to disturb Jack.

Origin was there. He smiled at the sight of Jack. "She missed you yesterday, Good morning."

Oleander nodded. "I don't even know how she gets inside!" He touched her back and she purred as she opened her eyes. She glared at Origin. "Hey, go easy on him. It's not his fault he isn't cool like us."

Jack stood and stretched. Oleander could have sworn she smiled. He laughed. "Time to start a new day?"

Origin pulled some pants from a drawer. "Yes. We're just walking around today, if that's okay?"

Oleander nodded. "Sure. That sounds good. No yachts or planes?"

Origin laughed. "No. Just stuck with me." He tossed the jeans to Oleander.

"Great." Oleander flicked the jeans and looked at Origin as he glared. Oleander chuckled. He slid on his jeans. "I need a shirt!"

Origin let his eyes roam over Oleander this time and he knew that Oleander saw him. "No, you don't." His eyes went to Oleander's mouth.

Oleander looked at the door that was open. He knew that Origin never wanted anyone to know that they kissed. "Uh, breakfast." Oleander walked to the dresser and found a shirt.

Origin nodded. "Right." He forced himself to leave the room and walk down the stairs without touching Oleander.

They were silent through the walk to the city center. Neither of them knew what to say. Origin broke the silence. "Are you okay?"

Oleander just laughed. "No, not really." He kept walking and tried to breathe. He replayed those kisses all night and couldn't help but love it.

Origin sighed. "Look, I'm sorry about what happened. Okay? I shouldn't have kissed you and I'm not sure what that even was! Can we just forget about it and... I don't know. Move on?"

Oleander sighed as he stopped walking. "I was talking to Oak. He knew."

Origin almost fell over, if the wind was stronger, he would have. "What?"

"Right. He knew because he smelled your scent on me. He knew we were close." Oleander sighed.

"What? What did he say?" Origin held his breath.

Oleander shrugged. "Not much. He said you were a good man. That's about it. He said this pack was... indiscriminate."

Origin started to panic. "No! I can't let anyone know!" He was panicking.

Oleander sighed and realized nothing was going to happen. Origin saw it as a mistake and that hurt. "I won't tell anyone and we don't ever have to talk about it, okay? Calm down because if you pass out here, I will leave you here!"

Origin walked to a bench and sat. He took a few deep breaths and was silent for about five minutes. "Okay. I'm better. I knew that was a mistake. I would prefer it if we didn't ever talk about that ever again. Besides, you're leaving." He stated that like it was a fact.

Oleander was a little sad and that feeling was unexpected. "Oh." He nodded. "Okay. I won't." He was kind of pissed that Origin just stated that he was leaving. Origin didn't like him like he hoped. What if he stayed? Oak said it was up to him. Maybe he would stay. What if he stayed? He would have to avoid Origin and that would be tough.

Origin sighed and looked at the street. "I mean you're not even staying so we shouldn't even talk or see each other again!" He couldn't get hurt like that when Oleander left. "We shouldn't be together."

Oleander nodded and walked down the sidewalk, alone. He was sad now. He knew that Origin was right. He had no plans to stay. He was leaving as soon as he heard the vampire's excuse for killing his mate.

Origin walked beside Oleander in silence. They spent the whole day in the city and didn't really talk. Oleander got ice cream at one vendor and a coffee at another before they left for home. It was not the best day that Oleander ever had. He felt like he just broke up with Origin and he hated it.

When he woke up that morning he was excited and now there was nothing but disappointment. Origin didn't want him and he was sad about it. He knew that Cosmo would have liked this vampire and he hated having that thought.

Cedar knew something was up when Origin didn't show up for breakfast. Oleander was grouchy and quiet. Something happened. Oleander spent the rest of the week with Cedar. He was staying away from Origin as requested. He liked Cedar and Cedar was safe.

"So, what happened with Origin?" Cedar watched Oleander sit in silence after two days of silence and Origin was a no show both days for breakfast and dinner. He couldn't take it anymore.

"Nothing." Oleander sighed.

"Oh, I see. Is that the problem?" Cedar was guessing. "I thought he liked you."

Oleander laughed. "No. Not at all. I don't think he even likes having me here, Cedar. It's the reason you are hanging out with me."
Cedar sighed. "Oleander, I've known him most of my life. I know he likes men and he likes you most of all. I saw how he looked at you. How he still looks at you. I thought I saw something when we went fishing?"

Oleander blushed and covered his face. He dropped his hands and sighed. "Turns out that it was nothing."

Cedar shook his head. "No! Oleander, I saw something. Origin never gave anyone any kind of attention until you arrived. He likes you. I know it."

Oleander shook his head. "No. He said it was a mistake, Cedar and that's fine. I probably won't stay here anyway. It's okay. Really. I lost my mate, I will always love Cosmo and that isn't fair to anyone else." He sighed. "Maybe I wasn't meant to be happy." He shrugged. "Maybe I'm being punished. I'm sorry that I met you guys and..."

"Are you?" Cedar looked shocked.

"Only because it makes me want more than I can have. This was a nice moment that I can hang on to, Cedar. That's all. When I'm allowed to go, I will find a nice cabin up north and live my life. Maybe a bear will get the better of me one day." Oleander sighed. He would grow old alone.

"I always thought I would grow old with Cosmo." He stormed off to be alone. He lost too much and now, he lost Origin and he never really had him. He was losing his mind and all he knew was that he was sad.

Cedar rushed to Origin's house and barged in. "What is your problem?" He shouted from the living room.
Origin walked out from his hidden library. "What? You're the one that barged in here!"

"Oleander. I just talked to him and..." Cedar was interrupted.

"No! He's not staying here and I will not subject myself to any pain when he leaves! Cedar, just leave." Origin was upset.

Cedar softened and sat down. "I get it, Brother. Sit. I'm sorry. I really like him and I think he wants to stay."

Origin sighed as he sat. "I want him to stay but he said he was leaving when and if he got to talk to the vampire. He is planning on leaving, Cedar!"

Cedar smiled. "If you are mated, he won't leave. Okay? Just stay calm and I will talk to Oak. Grandfather likes him too. He wants him to stay too."

Origin just nodded. "I just can't see him again, if he's leaving."

"I understand. I'm talking to Oak." Cedar stood and rushed out. He was talking to his Alpha.