32

if saya hadn't made sure to remind you multiple times over the last weeks, you would've forgotten about planning a birthday party

actually, you didn't want to have one at all but that was no option for your best friend. she didn't ask you. she just set the date for this friday.

"i will make use of my contacts and this is going to be the party of the year!" she'd said.

it was her house you were standing in front of now, an hour before the first people were supposed to arrive. her parents were hardly home so she was always one to throw parties.

you didn't know most of saya's friends which was why you were nervous. of course, she'd made sure to invite everyone you knew.

the rest was just for the background atmosphere, according to her.

she ripped the door open before you could even ring the bell. "hiii!" she exclaimed in a squeak and hugged you so tight you couldn't breath for a second.

"happy birthday, baby!" she grinned and you gave her a peck on the cheek. "thank you!"

"i can't believe you're seventeen now!" she sighed and slumped on the sofa. you sat down next to her.

the tv was on and some reality tv show was playing.

"it's not as crazy as eighteen, but it's cool" you replied and pulled a pillow onto your lap to hug.

"how's the mood?" saya's torso was turned to you, dedicating her whole attention to your feelings.

you cocked your head to the side. "i'm okay. a little nervous" you admitted, stroking the soft fabric of the pillow.

she rested her head on your shoulder as you both stared at the tv. "you're gonna be fine. you can leave whenever you want to, you know that. and if something is bothering you, just stick with me or tell me, i'll beat their ass."

you laughed and snuggled in closer with her. the name of the show came to your mind.

"you're still watching the real housewives??"

***

it wasn't as bad as you'd feared. everyone was nice and congratulating you, even though they just knew you through saya. there were hugs and hand shakes, smiles and kisses on the cheek.

it was really a positive experience. people were genuine and talked to you. you laughed a lot.

while you stood in the hallway, leaning against the wall, talking to a newly made friend, someone called your name louder than it was necessary.

"y/n! where's the birthday girlll?" atsumu called even though he'd already eyed you. you grinned and waved.

"excuse me for a sec" you apologized to the girl and she nodded with a small smile, retreating.