36

there were hardly any familiar faces. uncomfortableness was creeping up on you and you clung a little tighter to eno's hand. almost reassuring, he squeezed yours back.

as though he had a destination to head to, your boyfriend led you through the room purposefully. you wondered if he knew this house, if it was one of his friends who hosted this.

you hadn't asked, glad that he even was willing to bring you along.

you didn't really like his friends. he was different when he was with them, usually mean and sometimes he even got a little physical, though he always shrugged it off as fun. the apologies afterwards had become kind of tiring, always the same.

the two of you ended up in the kitchen. eno shook hands with some of the guys while the girl were busy eyeing you suspiciously. you felt so weird in your own skin right now, you almost didn't realize someone was offering you a drink.

the red plastic cracked in your hand, sweat dampening your palms. frowning, you lifted the mixture up to your nose, to identify its content by the smell. "i'm not drugging you, you know."

you didn't know him, but the guy sounded hostile, as if your action had insulted him personally.

eno's eyes were piercing you and you could feel his shame radiating.

later on, he was sitting on the couch, an arm around your shoulder. you rested your head on the back of the sofa, your ears were throbbing from the loud music, the bass echoing in your brain in a loop.

you only noticed the girl when she was already on eno's lap, making herself comfortable. your mouth opened, but you shut it again. maybe it was because you wanted to see how he would react, maybe you were too exhausted to interfere.

eno took his time. you could seee the girl's hip movement, how she was drawing circles on his lap and how he didn't do anything about it. "i'm afraid i have a girlfriend" he whispered in her ear, almost too faint for you to hear.

you watched as the girl turned her upper body towards him, her arms pushing up her breasts. "really? i don't see her" she grinned back. demonstratively, you cleared your throat. her cute voice was making you angry.

she left. eno leaned back, looking at you. "what were you so aggressive about?" it was a reproach.

your blood slowly began to boil, you thought you could feel the steam ascend from your skin.  your jaw tightened when you answered. "i'm sorry that you're afraid to have a girlfriend" you spat out.

it was the alcohol. you would never say such a thing when sober, never talk back. you could see that this caught him off guard as well.

you left the couch before any word could leave his open mouth.

***

suna didn't let go of your hand until you'd reached the kitchen. it was as though he was afraid to loose you, holding onto you since you'd left his home for the party.

"what do you want to drink?" he asked by the way, twisting bottles on the counter to see their labels. you leaned on your forearms. "i don't know. i'll take the same as you."

you weren't an experienced drinker, always downing what was put in your hand. most likely always regretting it.

"your wish is my command."

you smiled, regarding him while he extracted two cups from the pile and started pouring a few bottles' content into them. some other people entering the room distracted you and you turned your back on him, examining the pictures on the wall.