18

there hadn't been any major contact between you two since your little rendezvous at subway.

even though saya had tried to convince you of some "connection" being existent between you and suna ( which contradicted her warning of taking things slow ), that connection had made neither you nor him approach each other.

so, in conclusion, no talking. you barely even met. you hadn't met him a lot back then, before you "got to know each other". you were doing your best not to stare at him in english, the only class you had together.

you caught yourself staring at his back from time to time, looking up from your book when he was talking or writing his name in your notebook when nobody was watching.

but suna never turned around once.

if he'd noticed you, he didn't let you see it.

***

"suna, join me for a minute!" the coach called and waved at the middle blocker. suna tried to keep his groan as faintly as possible, so he wouldn't catch any more negative attention.

he knew exactly why the coach had called him.

he had been lacking energy and motivation during training, not just today, but ever since they'd lost the match against karasuno this year's beginning.

ever since the former third years have graduated he didn't feel pressured anymore. even though he would never admit it, kita, the former captain, had always made him want to do his best, and atsumu didn't really cause that.

eyes glued to the floor, more ashamed to get caught than to actually lack, he shuffled to his coach. "what's up?" he played dumb and stuffed his hands in his pockets.

the man raised his eyebrows. „seriously? i think you know exactly what's up" he said, his voice a little more annoyed than usually. he as well did notice that the team was not as ambitious as they'd been. atsumu was a great captain, but somehow not to be compared to kita.

he lacked that frightening glare that would make anyone do a hundred laps and serves more or less voluntarily.

„what's up with you, rintarou?" the coach asked and slightly shook the teenager at his shoulders. suna didn't reply.

and the coach, who had a long day as well, let it be. „i won't scold you because you're not as ambitious right now, but this will better be temporary. you're one of our best middle blockers and on japan's top list. make something of it. your future depends on it."

suna just nodded and turned on his heel without a comment. he was tired. he didn't want to put up with this. he knew what he was doing wrong. he just wanted to go home.

***

outside, it was raining. while he was searching his backpack for the umbrella he was sure he'd packed, his gaze wandered around the school yard. and it stopped at a certain point.

at you.

you were standing there, under the protruding roof of the swimming hall. your practice had probably just ended as well. it just came to him, how he'd never noticed you before, never thought about you having parallel practice with him.

well, before that party he probably wouldn't have given a fuck about you.

he stared at you, while prepping his umbrella. you didn't look like you had one. you were looking up at the sky, doing some weird movement which underlined your impatience.

suna didn't care enough. he opened his umbrella and went home.

he didn't offer you to share. he didn't offer his umbrella or his jacket. he ignored you.