nine

The Lock

When you wake up from your nap, your eyes snap open to the darkness of your bedroom only lit by the LED light shining from your alarm clock. Gazing over at it with sleepy eyes, you see that it's 3:38 in the morning.

You bury your head deep down into the covers, telling yourself that it's okay to sleep a bit more since it's just so warm and soft where you are in bed. But as you try to fall back asleep, something in the back of your head keeps you up, pestering you until you begrudgingly give in.

This voice of reason is pretty stubborn, too, repeating that nobody's awake and they're most likely not suspecting you'll leave so you shouldn't have a huge issue getting out. So after about two minutes of negotiations (you yelling at yourself internally), you throw the covers off your body.

"So. Cold," you mutter as you stare up at the ceiling with wide eyes. Why the hell did I do that?

While shivering, you quietly sit up from your bed and stretch out your arms. You're just about to turn on your lamp as you stretch out your arm when you suddenly stop- maybe turning it on wouldn't be a good idea. However, it's pitch black in your room since you're in a basement with no windows. So instead of using the lamp, you fish in your pockets for your phone and turn on the flashlight. Then, tiptoeing over to your door, you slowly turn the knob.

"Seriously?!" you groan when the door doesn't open. "They locked me in here?!"

As you quietly curse Kisaki and Kazutora out, you rifle through your pockets again and end up finding a bobby pin. You fumble with it in your hands as you pull apart the pin and bend it so you can slide it into the lock. Then, after turning it slightly to the right angle, you feel around for the right moves until eventually hearing the click that sends a wave of relief down your body.

Slowly, you open the door and cautiously peek down the pitch black hall. Luckily, nobody's awake to hear you as you relock your door and shut it quietly before tiptoeing to the stairs you entered in with Kazutora.

The second your foot hits the foundation of the main floor, you bolt right out of the building, running down the street in your clothes that aren't helpful when running against the cold night wind.

At first while you run, you don't pay much mind to your direction- all you want to do in this moment is get away from that building. You would go back home, but you suppose Kazutora is aware of where you live, but also, your unexplainable loyalty to Mikey is telling you to run to him instead. So, with the rationalization that his house is closer anyway, you decide to run there, and you don't stop until you find yourself right outside the door.

When you finally get to Mikey's house, you raise your fist in anticipation to knock, but stop just short of the front door. What are the chances that he's even awake? He'd probably be pissed if you woke him up, too.

After a moment of reasoning with yourself, you walk around to the backside of his house and put your hand on the handle. Once you find out that he stupidly had not locked it, you allow yourself right in. You close it quietly behind you and sigh as you take in the warmth from the heating system he's got that almost makes you melt. But instead, you make your way over to his couch and flop down.

Since Mikey's sleeping, I might as well get some sleep here and wait for him to wake up, you say to yourself as you throw his blanket over your entire body and pass out in 10 seconds flat.

The next morning you're startled awake from a scream and the sound of a plate tumbling to the ground. You sit up immediately and see Emma staring down at you towards the other side of the couch; she looks as though she was just about to sit down when she noticed you laying there.

"Ah, sorry 'bout that," you yawn.

Emma grumbles and throws one of the couch throw pillows at you before leaning down to clean up her mess. While she does, you swing your feet around the side and slide her butterknife under your foot when she's looking away.

"God, Y/N, I thought you were some kind of hobo or intruder."

"Nope, just your friendly assassin," you say with a cheesy grin. "But if I was an intruder I would have robbed you and left. I don't think hoboes would break into people's houses, they're not all bad, you know. Shouldn't judge."

Emma rolls her eyes as she stands up, and while she does, you steal the apple from her plate.

"What's going on?" Mikey walks in at just about the same time while shuffling his feet and rubbing his eyes. "Why'd you scream like that?"

"You've got a visitor," Emma sighs as she passes you one final look before walking away. You grin once more before picking up the knife from under your foot and sliding it into your back pocket.

Mikey almost instantly wakes up when he hears that he's got a guest, and practically spins around until he spots you sitting on his couch. But once he realizes that it's you in his house, a frown takes over his lips.

"Goddammit, Y/N," he groans as he walks over to you. "You fucked up again, didn't you?"

"Ummm, kinda," you admit with an awkward grin.

Mikey shakes his head in disappointment as he takes the seat on his couch beside you. "Shit, you really are bad with a partner."

"