26.

Zara

The continual throbbing in my head is what really ultimately jolted me out of my deep sleep.

I gradually squint my eyes wide open, but my vision becomes fuzzy and my eyelids feel heavy as another faint light enters my field of vision, while I struggle to open my eyes.

Realizing I was sleeping on something exceedingly soft, a bed I recognized in my thoughts, led me to stand up, sit back on the headboard of the bed, and reflect on everything that had occurred since I left that man's house.

Flashback...

While I walked down a flight of stairs towards the range rover, I turned around to face Ms. Venttali and Sophia, who was holding a bag out for me.

"What exactly is this?" I inquired, puzzled.

"It's your clothing. They seem to have been dirty, therefore I made sure the maids washed and cleaned them so That I could give them to you before you left," Mrs. Venttali explained.

I peeked into the bag just in case and found my trouser and light blue Kurta (hip length garment) perfectly clean and fresh, as well as my dupatta (scarf).

"Thank you very much, I-I really don't know how to thank you both," I reply, beaming and holding the bag firmly.

"I sincerely appreciate your help, and I hope to repay the kindness someday," I remark, going to reach for one last bone-crushing hug with Sophia again and Mrs. Venttali.

"Hey, come on, quit with all the praises, that's enough for now," wined Sophia while we were stopped by the chauffeur named Gino, who told me I needed to get moving, who was supposed to take me back home.

I hurriedly bid my farewells and jumped inside the car. As the car sped out of the estate and towards the main city, I waved back at Sophia and Mrs. Venttali.

This quickly jolted me back to reality. That meant I'd have to face my family. Inform them of almost everything.

Oh my God, They're probably aware of everything at this point, considering it's already been four days. I don't really want to confront them, and I'm not sure I have the stamina to explain anything.

I'm certain Ami would indeed be disappointed with me; then again, I really wasn't capable of keeping our marriage from falling apart, despite my pledge to her that I'll never bring humiliation upon my family as a result of my actions.

But... but they can't entirely blame me because I wasn't the one who started it, not as if I didn't want this, but whatever. I shouldn't be too concerned because I'm not to blame. This is their fault entirely since they forced us into an unwanted relationship that neither one of us wished for.

What the hell, why am I yammering and getting anxious when I haven't done anything? I should just be relieved that I would finally be safe and away from this terrible relationship.

I'm grateful for Mrs. Vanelli's family's generosity. may Allah bless them with ease from any of  their struggles in this life as well as the hereafter, yet, at the same time I'm genuinely afraid to go back home, I pondered.

I'm hoping my brothers don't do something wild after hearing this news. Abu isn't even here to help them deal with their rage; he's still in Pakistan. Abh toh sab aap par hai Allah, bus khair kar (It's all up to you, Allah, just do it well).

A phone ringing interrupts my line of thinking five minutes into our drive through the downtown streets. It was the driver who picked up the phone, attaching his EarPods to the phone.

"Are you sure, boss?" He answers after hearing whatever the person on the other end of the line has to say and then hangs up the phone. Mr. Venttali, I'm very sure that was their arrogant boss.