Special Chapter 1

Special Chapter 1

Ruvia Estevan

“Lady Ruvia!” Kaunti akong napahinto sa aking narinig ngunit mas binilisan ko ng kaunti ang aking paglalakad. I acted not to notice it. “Lady Ruvia.” I stopped when the man who called out for me went in front of me. I pursed my lips.

“It’s you again.” I slightly bowed. He smiled a cheek one, showing his deep dimples that makes the ladies think of him dazzling.

I also think he is a good-looking one. Yellowish-red hair, innocent eyes, and deep dimples. Surely, those are traits that can make one fall for him, especially that he is of a noble blood. Sonjac is soon to be the marquis of house Leros. He almost has everything that was why it’s a mystery for people that he is not yet married now that he is of marriageable age.

He is somewhat similar yet opposite to Heiden.

My lips pursed.

Heiden was the only one I wanted, even up to now. I have even resorted to lying to him that I pretended to be his childhood friend when he lost his memories when he was young. But now...

Kumuyom ang aking mga kamao.

He is now gone. He will forever be gone. The only one I wanted is gone.

“How are you?” Masayahin siyang ngumiti sa akin. I realized I was recalling Heiden again until Sonjac’s face was near to mine. Pasimple akong lumayo ng kaunti.

“I am fine. Then I’ll excuse myself.” I nodded.

“Don’t be so cold. Let’s go have fun!” His eyes squinted as he smiled wider. Malamig ko lamang siyang tinignan.

He really is a cheerful one. It must be tiring to please everyone.

“I am not a carefree and outgoing type, Sir Leros.” I calmly retorted.

“Then why not try?” Sabat nito. My head tilted a bit as I silently gritted my teeth.

He is irritating. Ever since he debuted to the society at the last two years, he has been sticking to me like a glue. I am not dumb to notice that this mutt likes me.

“I am busy, unfortunately.”

“J-Just for today! Then I won’t bother you.” Bumuntong-hininga ako.

“One hour.” Diin ko.

Alam ko rin namang hindi siya titigil hanggang hindi ako pumapayag. 

He dragged me to the center. Like those usual dates the couples do out there, it was cliche. Honestly, it was boring.

I sighed and was about to leave when Sonjac left to buy some foods paraded on the street.

“Where are you going, lady Ruvia?” Rinig ko.

That was fast. It seems like he really got his eye on me.

“It has been an hour. I have to go.”

“B-But---”

“You should do what you are supposed to do, Sir Leros, as I have something to do, too.” Putol ko sa kanyang sasabihin. His eyes drooped and he pouted a bit.

He’s just like a pup. Cute but also...annoying. And I am not fond of dogs.

I found myself in the basement again, seeing the people wounded being tortured by my people. Their screams and cries are really loud. Fortunately, the whole basement is soundproofed. My eyes squinted as I saw a body of one that fell. A scene I don’t want to remember went to my mind.

Heiden...

I clicked my tongue.

Maybe it is better to forget him. Alam kong hindi na rin maibabalik ang buhay na nawala pa. I don’t want to live without a purpose, without a reason, without something to hold on. Or maybe, is it just better to die?

“Ruvia, you are studying medicine?” Father asked.

Took him long enough to know. After all, he is not interested to what I do.

“Yes, Father.” I nodded.

“Why didn’t you tell us?” Mother and my siblings looked at me, they stopped eating.
,
There it is again, their uninterested gazes. It’s always like this. Though I don’t mind since they do not restrict what I do.

“Forgive me, Father. I thought it was irrelevant.”

“Well, that is true but keep in mind that you should prepare more to be the next duchess.” I felt my two younger siblings look at me. I remained calm about it.

Lewis, the first son, always has his eye on the seat of the duke. Same with my sister, Alexandra, who is also greedy for the next title holder. It was not the gender that decides who the duke or duchess will be, it will always be the firstborn for this house.

“Understood.”

“I have heard you are quite close with that Leros’ heir.” I continued to chew my food as the picture of that man he told me flashed in my mind.

“As what you have said, Father.” Sagot ko. I gently bit my lip.

This will be going to the direction Father wants. He wants me to marry Sonjac since he is the only heir of a marquess.

“You should get close with him. He will be beneficial to us in the future.” A flawless deduction. “Do you understand?” Tumango ako.

“Yes.” I wiped my lips with the handkerchief put in my lap.

As what Father ordered me, I didn’t had that much effort to get close to that Leros’ heir. However, I also do not want to ignore it. Marrying that cheerful man will bring me fortune, influence, and power. This is not a bad deal for me.

It’s been days since I coped up in my office. The sunlight touched my skin when I got out from the ducal house to take a stroll. I sighed and closed my eyes.

Now that I think about it, I also haven’t had gone to the basement.

I opened my eyes and licked my lips.

Some entertainment, I see. I should stop by at the basement to see how some captives are doing.

Aalis na sana ako nang may tumawag sa akin.

“Lady Ruvia!” I turned back only to see him. I was surprised to see him near the ducal house but what surprised me the more is the way how he changed his normal look. Napaawang ang aking mga labi.

“Leave me alone.” My fists balled and I turned my back away from him. I even heard him calling me but I didn’t mind him. Nagngingitngit ang aking mga ngipin sa kanya.

How dare he?

I took a deep breathe.

How can he casually go to me and dye the same color as Heiden’s, also changing his demeanor of how Heiden is? Was he doing it in purpose? To what? To trigger me? To remind me that Heiden is already gone? I know that he likes me but this is going too far.

Suminghal ako.

Just like what I said, he really didn’t follow me these days. Ni anino niya ay wala akong nakita. But I have heard news of him last week that his celebration for the next seat of the marquess is going near.

I was feeling relieved but bothered at the same time.

Something is up with me these days. I feel bothered and pictures of him sometimes flashes in my mind. I knew it. Something is really wrong. Something is missing.

Napakagat ako sa aking labi.

What is it? Why am I bothered too much?

The following month and it is the day of the celebration of the new marquess. I took a sip of the wine as the corner of my eye caught him staring at me as he speaks with his guests. I pretended not to notice.

What is it? Is he just going to stare at me all day? Hindi niya ba ako lalapitan? If that was it, then my time is wasted here. I’ll be more entertained to be in the basement and continue torturing those captives in there than being in here without doing anything.

I clicked my tongue. Ako na ang lumapit sa kanya nang makitang tapos na siya sa kanyang mga kausap.

“You...” I trailed off. He was about to go when I glared at him. He gave an awkward smile.

“L-Lady Ruvia...” He smiled, showing his teeth. I just snorted.

“Are you avoiding me?” Pinagkrus ko ang aking mga braso.

It was obvious. I was just pressuring him.

He pursed his lips. Napayuko siya.

“That day, I knew you liked the late prince. I tried to go as far as possible to be like him to cheer you up but it seems you were mad about it and you told me to leave you alone. You must have dislike me, right?” He smiled a sad one reaching his eyes. Tumaas ang aking kilay. My lips parted.

So that was his intention, huh? Still, that is not a way to make someone happy, for me. In actuality, it is an act of mockery in my opinion. How stupid is this marquess?

“I haven’t said the latter.” He blinked a few times of what I said. “I was insensitive that time but I didn’t mean it.” Bumuntong-hininga ako.

Really? Is he just going to make me say sorry? But I don’t do that so no way.

“T-Then...”

“Do as you like.” Umirap ako bago siya tinalikuran. I heard his cheery voice again as he follow me. An entertained smile escaped from my lips.

I got a new entertainment, I see.