Chapter 14

Skylars POV

I'd woken up to the sound of the drums that woke up the Lost Boys and apparently the entire island. I was still exhausted from yesterday. That was one of the days I ran like I never had in my entire life. Plus, the things my father said made it even worse, to say the least.

Once I got up, I grabbed the knife that I stole from Peter and the knockout dust and started walking the opposite way of where I'd come from. I still felt tired and almost decided to go back to sleep but, the drums kept going and going, and I'm honestly feeling a bit hungry.

Once I cleared up my little sleeping area, I heard a noise.

"Who's there?" I asked.

Silence.

"Hello?"

"I... I brought you some food if you want it." A little boy said as he came out from the bushes. I jumped up and took the knife and aimed it at him.

"How'd you find me?" I quickly questioned.

"I... I followed you. I'm genuinely sorry" He said looking down. A few tears escaped his eyes. I've had that look a few times over the years. And I'm definitely going to have that look more while I'm stuck here.

I put the knife down and walked to a nearby tree and sat down and motioned for him to come sit by me.

"I felt like I need to protect you, you reminded me of someone." He mumbled, whipping away a tear.

"You don't need to say anything. And listen, you don't need to apologize for anything. You miss someone, and who do I remind you of them?"

"My sister, she, died on her way home from school. She hit her head hard and landed on something hard. The doctors told us that when she hit it, she instantly died. At least that's what my papa told me."

"I'm sorry." I mumbled, playing with my fingers and looking down at the ground.

"It was a long time ago, my brother and I drifted apart after that."

"Where's your brother?" I asked.

"With Peter."

"What's his name?"

"Logan, he's my twin brother." He looked down, and I thought I could see tears in his eyes.

"Whatever happened between the two of you, I am deeply and truly sorry."

Leo laid down on my legs and started falling asleep. I stroked his hair until I knew that he was fast asleep.

---

Peters POV

I thought the smell of food would draw her back to camp, it obviously didn't work.

"PETER!" Logan shouted. He was racing towards me and seemed very pissed for...well, I don't know. I noticed that he had a piece of paper in his left hand and was holding on to it like his life depended on it.

"What is that, Logan."

"It's from Leo." He grumbled.

"What did he say?"

He didn't answer my question, but just shoved the paper into my chest. I found a spot to read the note while Logan constantly paced back and forth.

Dear Peter or whoever is reading this,

I'm so sorry, but I don't think what we're doing to Skylar is right. She may be a pirate, but she is still an innocent and a human being. I saw it when we were on the ship. She cares about people deeply and can care about anyone quickly. So, I'm going to protect her from you for as long as I possibly can. And even if it means that I have to pay for what I've done if you catch us, so be it. I will not be a part of your plan. And from here on out, I will not be a Lost Boy. And if my brother isn't happy with this then I'm deeply sorry, but as long as you're a Lost Boy I will not be part of your family any longer.

Sincerely Leo.

I could tell why Logan was upset. His brother had disowned him in a sense. And he refused to be part of the Lost Boys. Nobody, and I mean nobody, will defy me and say that they will not be a Lost Boy. And yes, the free will and stuff is important. But he is part of us. One of us. He is family, and he just left with only a letter to say he's leaving, saying he's not one of us anymore. And what's even worse, he's our best tracker. And that can easily mean that he would be able to hide without a trace. Hopefully, Logan remembers something about where they could be. Otherwise, we're going to need a miracle.

Hey guys sorry this is a short chapter, I've been working on some of my other books I'm writing.  Plus homework and it's all very stressful right now. So I'm sorry if these chapters are short or boring. But if you have any comments please say them! I'd love to hear everyone's feedback!