Chapter 9

Violet's POV

Sonic just returned but with no Nightly. Huh? I walk up to him.

"Hey, Sonic? Where's your sis?"

"Oh! Turns out that the Shadow that was attacking the city, was a fake and the real one came in and dealt with it. Nightly is just staying with him for a little bit. I don't blame her for missing him so much." I smile just as Knuckles bursts in.

"Listen up! We just got word that Eggman's forces are undermanned at his headquarters in Metropolis!" Hm? Well... that's a way to walk into a room and announce something out of the blue.

"They're probably staging somewhere else as part of Eggman's plan. This could be our only chance to take the city." Espio points out.

"Exactly! That's why we're focusing on a full frontal assault on Metropolis! I'm calling it, 'Operation Big Wave'!" Knuckles responds. Operation Big Wave?

"Who cares what it's called? What's important is to have a well thought out strategy." Silver interjects.

"I thought up this strategy in about a minute and a half. We're going in hard and fast and we're not going to stop until Eggman's army's destroyed. Sonic is gonna take a rest from his encounter, but the rest of us can do this! We've got the strength and the spirit to win. There's no finer group that I'd want to fight with." Hmm... Well, it's not often Knuckles can come up with a plan like this. Vector then walks up with a huge smile on his face.

"Ha! Great speech! Let's give Eggman an old-fashioned beat down!"

"They have more in sheer numbers, so the idea of a quick, focused attack isn't bad. We also have Sonic-- I mean, the other Sonic-- so I have no doubt we can do this! Also, if we can destroy the Phantom Ruby, we should be able to send the other Sonic home! At least I hope so... this is all new territory for me..." Tails points out, I forgot he was in the room. Dang he is quiet when not being smart.

"Okay, let's head straight for Eggman's HQ! Time to save the world, people!" I nod.

"Hey! Commander Knuckles, is it alright if I take the Newbie with me?" I ask, walking up to him. Knuckles meets my gaze and nods.

"Sure! She could learn a thing from you!" I smile and run off to grab Stitch.

Metropolis

We swing in on my wire, one of my hands holding onto Stitch. My radio band beeps.
"Alright! Time for Operation Big Wave! We'll surge forward and sweep the enemy away!" Suddenly I hear a voice of someone I don't want to hear as we run through some bots.

"How absurd! What can that rabble do with an all-out attack? I'll smash them to smithereens!"

"Uhh... who was that?!" Stitch asks, concerned.

"Eggman... he must have caught wind of our plan!" We continue running and jump off a ramp, gliding through the air. Suddenly, I feel another presence beside us.

"Uh.. Violet!!!" I hear Stitch, sounding kinda terrified. I look. And I wish I didn't. It's that guy who took down Sonic! We lock eyes for a split second before he flies ahead of us.

"Infinite! Activate the Phantom Ruby. Make them wish they'd never been born!" and he activates his power. All of a sudden, gravity goes haywire! And I hear a sudden shriek of pain from Stitch. I look at her as she holds her head. Ok! I'm getting extremely scared now! I look up and see monstrous versions of Infinite above us. WHAT!? My radio beeps again.

"Stay Calm! What you're seeing isn't real!" Knuckles tries to reassure us, but that isn't exactly helping. Me and Stitch manoeuvre through all the trippiness that the Phantom Ruby is throwing at us.

"It's no use! Our troops are scattering in the confusion. AAAAAHHHH!" The radio link to the soldier cuts off. Oh no...

"This is bad! Our forces were all gathered together, and now they're plunged in the chaos!" Silver's voice comes on, sounding nervous. And to make things worse, every minute, gravity is being pulled everywhere on Infinite's command. I suddenly hear more voices through my radio.

"This is Eagle Squad! We're caught in enemy crossfire!"

"Snake Squad requesting reinforcements!"

"This is Fox Squad! We can't hold out much more!" All those soldiers get cut off. Then Amy's voice is heard.

"80% of our forces have been wiped out! And we've lost contact with the rest!" I can feel my heart drop to my stomach. Oh no!

"One flip of the phantom ruby switch and everything falls apart on us!" Vector points out, making me feel more anxious.

"The Rookie and Newbie are our only hope now." Excuse me... WHAT!? I glance back at Stitch as we continue through the battlefield. I think I'm gonna be sick for a month! One of those monsters appears again and knocks a platform we are on down, forcing me to swing us to safety. My band then begins to beep. "Grr, we can't go on like this." Well... that much is true Knuckles! Then the radio clips to Espio.

"As much as it pains me to say it, the best we can do now is to live to fight another day."

"RUN FOR IT!" I hear Charmy cry. I don't blame him! He's also a kid. But I am scared out of my mind. I look back at Stitch, who seems to be even more terrified.

"We are almost out of the battle! Just keep holding on and stay close!" She nods and her grip on my hand tightens. I guess that sorta comforted her... but it won't be for long.

"I hate to say this, but our big wave has washed out!" Knuckles admits through the radio, disappointment laced in his voice.

"We haven't lost. Let's fall back and regroup!" Silver's voice gives me more hope as we continue to run from the bots. Once at a safe distance, I slow down and stop, catching my breath.

"Are... huff... you ok...? phew! " I ask, looking at Stitch. She nods.

"Could be worse... Let's get back to base and-" Her ears flicker. Hm? Suddenly she starts walking in another direction. What is she doing? I follow, not wanting to lose her. Last thing I want is for a kid like her to get captured by Eggman and his goons. She approaches a figure who makes me freeze. Infinite.

"More ants to crush. I wonder if this world can offer me a real challenge" instead of immediately noticing Stitch, he notices Me. My heart drops to my stomach again."And as if to answer, the world sends me a trembling child" HEY! I'm not a kid! I try backing away, keeping an eye on Stitch, but Infinite warps to beside me, I can feel the power that radiates off him. I'm Frozen in horror.  "Are you going to fight and die here? Or, run away in fear again?" i scramble to step away from him, before i almost hear Sonic's voice

"Hey, don't be scared! This is your moment to shine!" I take a breath, before clenching my fist, flicking my gaze to Stitch again, she has a confident look in her eyes. "Keep going! Don't let your fear own you!" I punch at Infinite, glaring a challenge into his covered face. Bring it on, Infinite.

"Fine." Infinite speaks, lifting into the air "i will teach you fear, then pain, and then..." he pauses, as if to try making his point stronger "well, at least the fear and pain will end"

"Strong words for the future loser of this fight!" Stitch raises her voice, catching his attention. He stares at her for a moment

"You... i suppose you can fall under the same fate that falls on the rest of these pests" before we're suddenly teleported to an arena of some kind. Huh?! I glance up to see Infinite floating above us. Shoot!