Chapter 5

Nightly's POV

"-we're on our way back!"

"I have to destroy some badniks on our way, though!" I hear my brother laugh, making me smile. I catch the sight of Amy squeeing nearby. You. are So odd sometimes... and that's coming from Me.

"You better not get caught again, Sonic!" i call through Knuckles' communication device

"Nightly!!!" Violet kind of shrieks at me, making me laugh

"I was Joking! He's too fast for that, isn't he?" I can only guess that she's huffing on the other end. I smile, before going to lean against a wall, waiting for them all to return safe... they need to be safe. I don't know how i'd be able to take it if they didn't... on that thought, i hope Shadow is doing alright... Violet said that she saw him fighting Sonic, but i don't know if that's actually what happened, she was grieving, so maybe she saw something... I don't know... ugh.

In a while, the entrance to the base opens, allowing familiar faces to return through it. Violet, that new Stitch girl, Espio, Vector, Silver... and Sonic. I feel a smile grow on my face, and i run over, nearly tackling Sonic in a hug, making him yelp.

"How DARE you get caught!" i hiss, tightening my grip slightly, hearing him laugh "don't Do that again!

"Not planning to, oddball" i step back, letting go, glaring into his gleaming green eyes

"We're Both oddballs! I didn't think that you'd forget that over those months." i can tell my tails are lashing... if they were faster, i could fly like Tails can... ha. No. i can't. Sonic just simply beams at me, before stretching

"Good to be free again" he brushes over my reminder, smiling at Violet who's just staring at him. Right. I blink, before turning and walking deeper into the base, leaving behind the excited conversation, finding Ember cleaning the cans of her spray paints. I kneel beside her, noticing her head flicks upwards to me. She smiles slightly, before dropping her gaze to my dress

"You'll get your dress dirty if you're here" she lifts her magenta gaze to meet mine, making me chuckle

"I can get grease out of the fabric, i can get paint off" she raises an eyebrow, before shrugging.

"Do what you want" she says as she drops her gaze back to the paint can in her hand, returning to clean it from the cobwebs and dust it had collected. Sitting in the peace that she carries, the insecurity from earlier, worry for my Shadow, Flares back into my mind. Ember catches it, lifting her gaze again, shimmering confused.

"I'm just concerned for Shadow" i say, and she seems satisfied with that answer. It makes sense for her, surely, since she turns back to her cleaning, lifting the can, hissing out a small spray of paint, that drips in tiny little dots across the floor. This section, once she's finished, is going to be decorated all over in colourful specks. It's going to be Really pretty, i'm sure. Heh.

"Have you looked for him?" Ember's voice is calm, probably the calmest her voice has been in a long time... especially since she lived with her father.

"Yes, i have. I think he's in hiding, or just happens to be everywhere that i'm not" i let out a sigh, that seems to be exactly the same time as she hisses out some paint, making her mutter that this one is nearly out, and needs more cleaning.

"I feel bad for you... though i can't see myself in the same sort of thing you are" she chuckles slightly, making me smile. She's most relaxed when it's just us. A couple of friends relaxing, talking about spurted topics. "Is Sonic alright?" she then glances up, knowing that i was Also concerned for my Brother.

"Yes, he's safe" i chuckle slightly "as i Thought" she gives a disbelieving hum, a smile forming on her face again

"The memory of you whimpering at the thought of your brother and Partner having gone... supposedly to Egg-face... says otherwise" i know what she means by 'going to' in both situations. Violet mentioned how Shadow was there, fighting him. And how Sonic was hog-napped... ha. Though on that thought, i doubt Shadow would do that. They have a competition, but it wouldn't cause him to go back to Eggman.