[Hanahaki disease AU] Kokichi Ouma x F! Reader

Angst !!
It's gonna be Kokichi with Hanahaki disease in this one-shot :)
F(Fem)! Reader. Will be using she/her!
TW/CW: This will mention vomiting. If you are uncomfortable with that, then this is not the chapter for you.

Hanahaki disease is an illness where the victim of unrequited or one-sided love begins to vomit or cough up the petals and flowers of a flowering plant growing in their lungs, which will eventually grow large enough to render breathing impossible if left untreated. It can last weeks or months, or until the victim is so weak that they eventually die. The only way to cure it is if the person they love tells them that their feelings are reciprocated.

"Love piles up like overflowing petals, until you drown in their everlasting scent..."

Today was like any other day for Y/N L/N, it wasn't for Kokichi however. This morning he woke up with a fever, but he ignored it and went to school, despite his body telling him not to. He talked and behaved normally, but he couldn't stop shaking and sweating. Y/N noticed and questioned him about it. "Me? A supreme leader? Sick? You've gotta be one stupid girl to think that." She scoffed at him, "I'm not the stupid one here. You're sick, you could've had a day off today!!" She gave the boy a confused look. Being sick and staying home from school is the dream every sleep-deprived and exhausted teenager would want. Yet he missed the opportunity. He missed it cause he wanted to see Y/N. Well that was what his heart said, but his mind just denied that and passed it off as a lie. "I forgot to do my super epic prank on you yesterday, so I had to do it today, duh!" He flicked her forehead playfully. "What's the super epic prank?" He smirked, "That I am sick! You idiot, you fell for it!!" He burst into laughter, pointing his finger at the wide-eyed girl.

His laughter was suddenly cut off, and his stomach began to turn and twist, a quiet but audible groan of pain escaping his lips. "Are you okay ?!?" Y/N moved her hand to feel his forehead, but he smacked it away. "I'm fine! The horse I ate this morning is starting to do something to my stomach though!" He joked, but his smile didn't last long as his eyebrows furrowed in discomfort. "I gotta shit. Laters Y/N." He tried his best not to run as Y/N just stared at him leave from her line of sight, worried about Kokichi.

"I hope he's okay..."

-

Kokichi clenched the toilet seat as his shoulders tensed up, feeling his stomach aches like a truck had hit him. He fell to his knees and he began to cough out blood. His horrified expression stared down at the toilet, seeing 2 F/C(Favorite color) petals floating in his blood. Her favorite color. As petals. His mind went blank as he realized what was making him so sick. Hanahaki disease. He heard about it because he had an acquaintance die of such a disease. The disease of tragic unrequited love. And he got it. 'Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!!' His mind was all over the place. He tried denying it, thinking the petals were already in there and he didn't notice. But then he felt something bitter and gross flood into his mouth. He coughed it out and saw 4 new petals, all the same color as the previous ones. He quickly flushed everything down, hurriedly cleaning himself up. His body trembled in fear that he'll be coughing up petals for a while. It wasn't the dying part that scared him, it was the thought of seeing Y/N's pretty eyes fill up with tears if she found out about it.

The whole day, he had to go to the bathroom to vomit out countless petals that poured from his mouth. Even Monokuma, the heartless teddy bear, was concerned. But still, Kokichi kept the act that everything is okay when it wasn't. He could feel his throat burning and his heart hurting. It would be unbearable for any sane person, but Kokichi was determined that he wasn't gonna give up so easily.

-

The following weekend, Y/N decided to check up on the boy. He stayed in his apartment lying on the floor as his exhausted body was giving out on him. Three times that morning he had to crawl to the bathroom, puking and coughing out the blooming garden that seemed to grow so rapidly. There was a knock on the door suddenly, he didn't want to open the door since he was still trying to hide his disease from the world. But then a familiar muffled voice came from the other side, "Kokichiiii! Are you there?" His eyes widened. Still trying to be the funny guy, he plays dead as a prank. Hearing the keys jiggle the lock, the door clicked and it swung right open (Kokichi surprisingly trusted you with a copy of his key for some context). She wasted no time running to him, tapping his shoulder hoping he was just asleep. He would always play these pranks on her, but knowing the condition he was in prior, the thought of it being some cruel prank completely slipped from her mind. "Kokichi ?! What's wrong ?!" Her worried figure looked over him, her leg bouncing in anxiousness and fear. Kokichi quickly peeked at her, beginning to regret what he was doing. Some part of him was wanting to continue the prank, calling himself a "coward" for wanting to stop over a girl. But, fuck, it was Y/N for crying out loud. The girl he was quite literally dying over. She turned away from him, trying to figure out what to do. He sneaked up behind her and yelled "BOO!"

She screamed.

And she fell, startled out of her thoughts.

The short man laughed hysterically, pointing at her frightened stare. "You look so stupid right now !" He said in between laughs. Her face twisted into a dirty look, standing up to look him right in the eyes. Immediately he stopped laughing, noticing how pissed off she looks. "I was worried about you! Seriously, what the fuck?? That wasn't funny I thought you were seriously ill!" She shouted in anger. "Well you know me Y/N, I'm the prankster of all pranksters. It's what I do! You should've known it was a prank idiot." He argued. "Well SORRY for caring about you! My mistake for even thinking you deserved my attention." She bickered back before leaving, the door shutting right in his face. He was speechless. He didn't know what to say. Or feel, for that matter.

His symptoms got even worse from there. He went from coughing petals to full bouquets. Every joint and muscle in his body was in excruciating pain. Kokichi truly felt like he was near death, yet he still couldn't tell her how he felt. Y/N, the love of his life, was walking to his apartment unbeknownst to him. Yes, she was mad at him but she couldn't help but worry about him as he didn't show up that whole week. She opened the door, her face turning pale as she saw the state he was in.

Kokichi could barely breathe, his throat was burning from vomiting so much, and he felt like he couldn't walk because every time he tried his legs failed him. Now understanding the severity of his condition, she ran over to his side, lifting his head to face her. His eyes drooped, exhausted beyond his mind. He moved closer to her face, centimeters apart. God, how he wanted to kiss her and make the pain end once and for all. But instead, he turned to the side and coughed out blood and a bouquet full of petals. Her eyes widened, unable to comprehend what was happening. The once energetic and playful boy was dying from Hanahaki disease. Her eyes began to swell up, drops falling onto his pale cheek. "I...I'm so sorry, if I had known I wouldn't have left you here alone that day." She said in between sobs. He was ashamed for letting himself get like this, it hurt his ego knowing that he was going to be remembered as the sick vulnerable boy that died of heartbreak. "Who is the girl you like? You need to tell her now before you..." she couldn't finish the last part. It was too much for her to take. Kokichi felt his heart slowing, his breaths getting more shallow by the second. He hastily decided to change his fate. He was gonna tell her how he feels before it was too late. "It's you...Y/N..I love you..." He breathed out before closing his eyes.

His heart stopped then and there, all is left is his lifeless body that was being cradled by the distressed girl. Y/N realized this and her sobs became louder, yelling for him to come back. "KOKICHI! I LOVE YOU TOO, DON'T FUCKING DIE YET!" She held his body close to her, hoping that it was just another sick prank, but it wasn't. She felt like it was her fault he was dead. Countless thoughts of guilt and blame were so overwhelming. Y/N holds his cold hand, trying not to weep anymore. "I'm sorry this happened to you Kokichi." She whispers, wiping her tears.

"I'm sorry."

—————
A/N

I'm so sorry if the ending is rushed 😭 but anyways here's an old draft I never posted. Hope you guys were in the mood of some sad shit.