I can't love anyone else but you

I strutted in to work, walking steadily in my tall heels, carrying an arm full of things. I could feel the hem of my dress brush against my thighs just above my knees, tickling my skin. I got to the lift, struggling a little to press the button, then got inside and pressed my floor. I shuddered as my stomach seemed to drop when the lift moved up. I despised them. However in this circumstance, the stairs would not be an option unless I wanted coffie on the floor, and me. The lift dinged as it reached my floor as I left it glady. As I made my way, I handed people their coffie, and lunches and such.

"Thanks Y/n"

"Your welcome Bob" I smiled.

"Oh thank you Y/n"

"No problem"

I hurried into the office to the left, and  placed a tall coffie at the desk. He looked up at me and smiled " Thankyou sweetheart"

"It's alright James"

"Busy today" He got up from his desk and walked up to me, resting his hands on my hips "But I'm sure we'll be fine, we always are"

He gave me a quick peck then returned to his desk "If you wouldn't mind making steak for dinner tonight dear?"

"Um, well, actually, we had plans to go out?"

"Out?" He scribbled on paper, not looking up.

"Well, yes, it's our anniversary today" I looked down at my feet "You didn't forget, did you?"

"Oh no, no, of course not my dear"

"We made arrangements to eat at that new restaurant tonight at six, it's our three years today"

He started messing with some papers, arranging them, like he didn't even here me. Like I wasn't even in the room.

"James?"

"Yes dear, steak tonight it is, I have a meeting at six thirty tonight, call the restaurant and tell them to cancel our reservation"

I swallowed hard, forcing back my tears, and put on a smile "Ok, I'll see you soon, love you"

"Mhm"

I quickly left and headed to my own office, trying to forget about it and get on with my own work. But almost just as I had sat down at my desk, there was a knock at my door.

"Come in"

Bob opened the door and took a step into the room "There's someone to see you Miss Y/ln, down at the reception"

"Alright, thanks Bob" I smiled.

I sorted out my files and headed down the stairs to the ground floor, where the reception was. It was quite uncommon for me to have visitors, so I was a little surprised about someone wanting to see me. Secretly, I was hoping it was someone to offer me a promotion but I'd never get that much luck.

I headed into the reception to the seating area, and there was a man sitting there. Not just any man. He sat slouched against the chair, one leg sitting over the other. That damn cowboy hat on his head. Wearing the same bottle-green shirt I've seen him wear about a thousand times, as if he didn't own any other shirt. It was slightly unbuttoned exposing his array of chains resting on his chest. His skinny jeans held up with a belt, just like always. Benny fucking Watts. My ex boyfriend.

I cursed to myself, then took a deep breath and proceeded towards him. He saw me  and smirked, getting up from the chair.

"Well, hello Y/n, it's been a while"

"So you're showing up to my work now? Bit stalkerish behaviour if you ask me, do I have to file a restraining order?"

"Still got a little fire in you I see"

"Yeah, better hope I don't burn you, now what do you want?"

"You've really done well for yourself haven't you" He looked around " Quite the little journalist. I'd like you to help me with something if you don't mind"

"So long as what your refuring to isn't in your jeans"

He chuckled "Well, can't say I wouldn't mind that either, but not quite"

"Follow me" I turned around and started walking over to the stairs, and he followed behind.

My heels clicked as I walked up the stairs, I was so used to it now.

"I see you still avoid the lifts"

"Some things never change"

I lead him to my office, and sat down comfortably in my chair. He sat in from of me with that stupid smirk on his face.

"Nice office"

"What do you want?"

"I want some advice"

"About?"

He leaned foward "How would I go about writing a book?"

"You want to write a book?" I scoffed "About what?"

"Take a guess?"

"Chess?" I sighed.

"Bingo"

"Write it, get it approved, illustrate the cover and so on, then publish, but it might take you a while"

"How long?"

"Years"

"Years? I can't wait that long!"

"That's life Watts, now if that's all, leave"

"So soon? I was hoping to have a little catch up" He leaned back into his chair "How's things going with, what's his name, your new boyfriend, Josh?"

"James..."

"Ah, yes, him. Cough! Dick. Cough!"

"He's not anymore a dick than you are"

"Maybe but one thing I can guarantee is my dicks better"

"Get out!" I grabbed a hold of his shirt and steered him towards the door, but he got loose and turned to me with his hands up in surrender.

"Oh come on Y/n, the man's an arsehole, and you know it, no need to get pissed off"

"Yeah I'm pissed off, you wanna know why? I'm pissed off because you dumped me because chess matters more to you than anything else in the world, and then three and a half years later you just come strolling into my work like it's nothing. My jobs really starting to piss me off, and my own boyfriend forgot our anniversary, and puts work before me! Oh, I wonder what that sounds a lot like? My last fucking relationship, maybe I'm just doomed to date self-centred arseholes!"

"Wow, that was a lot you had bottled in there, bet you feel better now it's out"

"Just leave. Please" I sighed.

"Alright I'll leave" He went over to the door and opened it " But just so you know Y/n, I haven't been able to date anyone else since we broke up, so I'm glad that you were able to find someone else"

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

"I can't love anyone else but you" He sighed, and left, closing the door.