Secret

I yawned, stretching my arms above me. Benny was still sleeping peacefully beside me, his hair messy and his arm underneath his head. Hopping out of bed, I went over to the wardrobe picking out a dress and changing from my nightie. Scurrying into the living room, I put on my shoes and grabbed my bag before leaving the apartment.

I made my way up the stairs into the early morning street of Newt York. Making sure to put on my sunglasses before heading out. It was a fairly calm and not too busy as it was early. Not many cars were on the road and there were few people on the streets.

I walked into the little shop and grabbed a shopping basket. Pulling my shopping list out of my bag I walked around the shop picking up things on the list. Eggs, milk, soap, toilet roll, bread. As I headed towards the till so I could pay, I spotted the magazines section. Oh yes! Benny wanted a chess review. I picked one up and went to go pay.

I Walked home with my shopping bags in hand.

The early morning light stung my eyes. Uh what time was it? I pulled the covers around me tighter but it was surprisingly light. I opened my eyes to see an empty bed. Sitting up, I rubbed my eyes and stretched.

"Y/n?" I called.

There was no answer, so I got out of bed, only in my boxers. I quickly slipped on my floral robe and went into the living room but she wasn't there.

"Darling?"

I shrugged, she must have went out. Wandering over to the fridge, I looked for something to have for breakfast, but it was bare. There was only a jar of pickles outdated by a few weeks ago. Coffie it is then. I made myself a cup of coffie and sat down at my chess board with my new tactics book, testing out some new openings.

After a while, I heard the food open and close again but I kept my attention to the board.

"Benny" I heard her "come help me with the shopping"

I sighed, a little annoyed my attention was drawn away from my work, but still got up walking over to the kitchen to help put away the shopping. When it was all put away, she pulled out the latest chess review, showing it to me.

"Ohh you are the best" I hugged her tightly making her smile.

"What's even in this thing?" She asked.

"Chess stuff, latest games, reigning champions and all that, I like to keep updated"

I kissed her cheek and took the paper, slouching down on my chair to read it , flicking to the first page.

"Coffie?" She asked.

"No thank you dear I've had one"

She started making herself a coffie while I read, until I came across something rather alarming. My eyes widened, oh no. Oh no, no this can't be good.

"Uhhhh, Y/n darling, there is something you might want to see" I told her.

"What?"

"Uhhhhh, I'll read it to you" I said reading it out " US reigning chess champion Benny Watts spotted in public having dinner with a young woman, could this be his new girlfriend he's been hiding from the public eye?"

She looked alarmed, coming over and taking the paper from me to read it herself.

"Oh god" she groaned " I thought we were careful"

"Clearly not careful enough, because we got caught"

"What are we going to do now?"

"Well, darling, there's nothing much we can do" I pulled her on my lap and rubbed her back " They were going to find out sooner or later"

"I know, I just, this was what we were trying to avoid, the people getting sucked up into our person lives"

"Well, at least we won't have to sneak around anymore, but if anyone comes  up to you and starts making you uncomfortable asking all sorts of questions just tell me alright?"

"Ok" She sighed.

"Good girl"

I gave her a quick kiss before ushering her off my lap and giving her butt a little slap.