sixteen

"Hello, Ms

"Hello, Ms. Red," Kova said.

"Good evening, little Kova," Red Riding Hood said. There was an odd politeness in the way Red spoke. "Or perhaps it's morning now. Time slips away from you when you're having fun." Her tongue traced her lips. Huraira took a step back. She was nervous and it was showing. Red would devour her, whole. "I've been wanting to talk to you for a while."

"Is that so?" Kova asked. "About what?"

"It's just been a long time since we got to... ah, hang out as the kids say." She offered a warm smile. "Your sisters really are so overprotective. They never let you wander too far." She sighed. "So I really was thrilled when I heard you'd come right into my territory with only a little Chimera." She took a step closer and Kova held his ground. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Ms. King. You're rather famous, you know."

"So are you," Huraira said, looking the woman over.

"Do you mean to use little Kova as a shield?" Red asked, tipping her head. "Come out, let me look at you."

Very slowly, Huraira did as Red told her to. Good. Upsetting Red was the last thing they needed to do. "I'm sorry," Huraira said her lip curling. "I was concerned you might want to kill me considering my last run-in with your... friends."

Red's brow twitched.

There went any chance of not upsetting Red.

"I... apologize for their behavior," Red said, though her tone had turned foul. "If I had realized you were someone important to Kova... I never would have dreamed to-"

"You seem to be on awfully good terms."

Why would she not shut up? Could Huraira seriously not see that Red was perfectly capable of killing them both in a matter of moments? Cutting her off was about the stupidest thing anyone could do.

Thankfully, Red was in a good mood. Probably because she had just eaten and she was just handed the opportunity to grab Kova, pulling him into an embrace. "Of course!" she said. "Kova is very precious to me. My right hand as Stingray says." She laughed again. "All I want is to see him grow up into the best version of himself he can possibly be."

"Ms. Red used to help me train," Kova said. He wanted out of her grip but he couldn't think of a polite way to do so. "She is strong and wise. Old."

"Never call a lady old, Kova," Red scolded. "It's impolite."

"You are old."

Red frowned and - either intentionally or not - loosened her grip on him. Kova pulled himself out of her embrace which apparently was the wrong thing to do because she gave him a look that was utterly scandalized before letting out a sharp huff.

"Very well," Red said. "I see you're in one of your moods but you know I am always here for you. As a show of good faith, I'll even tell my... friends that they can stop hunting Ms. King." She smiled. "I just have on teensy-tiny little favor to ask in return."

"That is?" Kova asked.

"Kova," Huraira hissed. "You can't make deals with-"

"Your pretty human that you have your beast watching," Red said, lip twitching, "I want him."

"Then take him."

Red's lip curled. Kova braced for her attack but... it never came. Instead, she shook her head as though deeply disappointed in him. "Fine. Your Chimera can die." And just like that, she turned and disappeared into the night again. For someone who always started her conversations so politely...

She was a talaa and he had learned not to trust any talaa.

That was when Huraira crumpled to her knees. "That was... that was..." She couldn't seem to find the words.

"Ms. Red," Kova said. "Get up. We should go home now."

"But- but what were you talking about?" Huraira asked. "What human is your... beast... is Sabiya protecting?"

Kova grimaced. She wouldn't like this.

"Jase."

[author's note]

[author's note]

short chapter but the last one was so long that it evens out