twenty

Jase winced as he sat on his couch, the usual clutter shoved to the floor and Jase's feet resting on the charging pad, making it easier for Kova to bandage his shoulder

Apparently, Huraira had been right when she said that Kova could provide deceptively capable first aid if he was injured and couldn't go to the hospital. It was only that, when Jase asked where Kova had learned to do this sort of thing, Kova had muttered something about his sisters constantly getting themselves into trouble. He also kept asking Jase if he had weird ingredients, like yarrow and honey.

Jase only had one of those things in his apartment and now he was wearing bandages smeared with honey. It didn't seem all that sanitary to him but Kova had glared when Jase suggested they use ointment.

"There," Kova muttered as he finished with the bandages. "You're not seeing things, juup?"

"No," Jase said. "Sorry to disappoint."

Kova said nothing as he sat down on the couch next to Jase. Neither of them said anything for a very long time until Kova sighed.

"You know." His words were laced with suspicion, but he sounded defeated. He looked tired and much older than twenty. Like a soldier who had been fighting for years with no hope of winning.

"You're a Smile." Jase couldn't meet Kova's eyes. He was still processing that fact. "A suicidal Smile."

Kova stared straight ahead. "Are you going to report me?"

"No," Jase said.

"Gelīla," Kova muttered.

"I'm not stupid," Jase said, shooting Kova a glare. "Not wanting to report you does not mean I'm stupid. It means I care about you."

"Gelīla does not mean stupid," Kova said. "It is one who is smart but... ah, how did she say... flirts with foolishness." He fixed Jase with a flat look. "I think it is fitting, talaa."

Maybe. Maybe letting a Smile who'd already bitten him live was... foolish. 

But... they were partners. And partners were supposed to protect one another. So Jase had done what he could to keep his apartment as safe as possible. He had put his gun on the top shelf so Kova would have to stand on the counter to reach it and he had attempted to tuck all sharp objects away. Jase had locked the windows and doors to keep Kova inside. But this also left Jase locked in with a Smile without any weapons.

"I trust you," Jase said. "You're not going to eat me."

"Ka, but I could!" Kova snapped.

"But you won't."

Kova scowled but didn't say anything so they sat in silence for a while, the ticking of the clock on Jase's wall the only source of conversation. As the minutes dragged on, though, Jase felt awkwardness bubble up in his chest and catch in his throat. He needed to say something. He needed to let Kova know it was going to be okay.