seven

Leaving Huraira and Bonnie behind him, Jase scanned the room for Kova

Leaving Huraira and Bonnie behind him, Jase scanned the room for Kova. With both of their places in Stingray secured, now would be a good time to cement him as an ally. Eventually, Jase found him, slouched against a wall, watching the Challenges with his fingers curled around a half-drunk water bottle. It was a position where his white roots were easily visible.

Taking a deep breath to still his nerves, Jase headed over. "Hey," Jase said. Kova turned, but upon seeing Jase, his lips quirked downwards. "Were you even trying when you sparred against me?"

"A bit," Kova murmured.

"You should help me get stronger so I'll serve as a better challenge next time. Is that why you're joining Stingray? To find a challenge?" Jase was just grasping at straws at this point.

Kova narrowed his eyes. "Ka. You don't know me," he said. "Stop pretending to."

"I'm- I'm sorry?" Jase said though he wasn't sure why he was apologizing. "I just want us to be friends?"

"No," Kova said, standing up. "You are a talaa and you want to use me like all the other talaaē."

"Now look who's pretending to know who!"

"Ka, but I do know you," Kova said, tilting his head. There was something off in his eyes. Something powerful. "I have met a thousand of you. You are just selfish dog, wagging your tail at power. And you smell!"

In all honesty, Jase knew he should have been offended. He might have been if it wasn't true. Kova had hit the nail on its head. Well except for the smelling part, because Jase did not. So he gritted his teeth and crossed his arms, refusing to back down. "I'm not a bad person!" Jase spat. "I need to kill her, Kova."

For a moment, Jase thought Kova was going to scoff and walk away. But instead, Kova tilted his head. "Why?"

"She... she killed my mom," Jase said. "Knowing that she's still out there... unpunished... I'm losing my mind!" He was trembling now. He cleared his throat, trying to regain a sliver of his composure. "So, how about it? Do you want to help this crazy, smelly, tala - whatever that is-"

"You're saying it wrong."

"It doesn't matter!" Jase said, holding up his hands. "What matters is... I need your help. I need you to help me bring down a monster. The question is... will you?"

Kova looked at Jase's extended hand, eyes glittering with resentment. "Ka. Not yet. But... I will watch you Jshaysan Villams," Kova said, stressing the wrong syllables of Jase's name. "I will watch you and I will decide."

"Jason Williams!" one of the referees called from across the room. "You've been Challenged!"

Shit.

Kova rose a brow. "If you get in, with those half-hour legs." He turned away. "Good luck, talaa."