twenty-eight

Kova felt energy crackle through him

It was a familiar feeling but he couldn't tell where it was from. He held the world in the palm of his hand, the divine power of the gntzīmenōn thick in his veins. He might not have been born with this power, but it was still his.

He was Kōvhakiēl, the reborn son.

A burst of noise cut through a city holding its breath. Red with laughing, snorting, snickering at him. "Welcome back," she said, breathlessly.

And lunged.

Kova swung his staff at Red. It met her sword and sent her crashing into her own nest. Kova clenched his fist and the building caved in on her. And the three buildings behind it. Kova had never felt so much power and more seemed to be pumping into him. The pool of life that resided inside of every creature had become a vast ocean. Every limit that had once confined Kova to mortality was gone.

"Is she... dead?" Jase asked, staring at the rubble.

As if on cue Red emerged from the rubble, completely unscathed. "You're just as powerful as I remember you being!"

Kova clicked his tongue and the buildings behind him shattered before he pointed his staff to Red. There was nothing Kova couldn't do.

Red swung her blade, reducing the shards of building to dust with her own magic before she rushed Kova once again. This time when sword and staff clashed, Kova caught sight of Red's smirk. "I have a confession, Kova."

She slashed and swiped, forcing Kova back. He gritted his teeth, trying to keep up with Red's pace. Red's movements were solid and Kova was forced to keep dodging. He just needed to outpace her. Wait for an opening. Like he always did.

But more and more power was pouring into him, the ocean slowly covering the land and Kova couldn't turn off the faucet. "I've known who you really were for a while now," Red said as her blade clashed with Kova's staff. "That night, when you tore through those humans like the insects they are. That was the night, I knew."

"What?" Kova asked, in a voice overlapped by a thousand others.

Before Red could answer, however, Huraira came out of nowhere, wielding her own blade. Red was forced to Morph and turned to face Huraira's attack. A mistake. Kova slammed his staff into Red's side. Red's cloak turned to dust.

Snarling, Red picked Huraira up by her neck. "Stop butting in mutt!" she said, throwing Huraira in the general direction of Jase who had been trying to angle a shot at Red. They collided as Red dashed towards them, probably to make the killing blow.

Kova interected. His staff collided against Red's blade, distracting her long enough for them to hopefully recover. With the cloak gone, only the patch protected Red's weak spot. If Kova could keep her attention for long enough, then Huraira and Jase could get it off and kill her.