XVII

Onika Tanya Maraj

"Did it look like it went well?" Onika asked and Kelly, Beyoncé and Michelle looked at each other and then Onika.

"It looked like you had fun? Did you have fun?" Kelly asked and Onika nodded, "I had so much fun! W-We talked and I was nervous but not that nervous. And then he—drove me home after." Onika said recalling last weekend.

"I-I think he's really nice." Onika said and Michelle and Kelly looked uneasy. Beyoncé laid her head on the table and groaned. She was trying her hardest to hold in her insults about the guy.

"W-What?" Onika asked noticing Beyonces behavior.

"Don't mind her—is he interested in what you like?" Kelly asked and Onika nodded, "H-He said my paintings were really nice." Onika said smiling.

"A-And he invited me out to see a movie today." Onika said and Kelly looked at her puzzled. "It's Halloween—they only do horror movies on Halloween. I have a feeling you don't like horror movies." Kelly said.

"W-Well I know but.." Onika trailed off.

Beyoncé raised her head, eyeing Onika.

"You didn't tell him you didn't like horror movies did you?" Beyoncé asked and Onika played with one of her curls.

"Lord Jesus she ain't tell him." Beyoncé said shaking her said. "Wait—you don't like horror movies?" Michelle asked.

"She hated the Texas Chainsaw Massacre binge." Kelly said like it was obvious and Michelle shrugged. "I was asleep for half of that. Watching white kids die is only funny after 30 minutes." Michelle said.

"You need to tell him you don't like horror movies." Beyoncé said crossing her arms. Eyeing Onika. The girl was playing with her fingers on the table.

"I-I was going to but—he already brought the tickets." Onika said and Michelle interjected.

"So? Tell him to buy new ones." She said like it was obvious.

"Or just—here's an idea—don't go with him at all."  Beyoncé suggested.

"B-But we're friends.." Onika said whining. "Is he clear that you're friends? And play on staying friends?" Kelly asked and Onika had to think.

"I—I think so. He uh—oh! He called me cute! Like how you guys do." Onika said with a light smile.

"Well from him that may mean something a little different." Kelly said, Onika looked at her confused.

"B-But it's the same word." Onika said.

"Yeah but when we mean cute we mean it like—a puppy cute. When he says cute he may mean it like "hey shorty wanna do the devils tango?" cute." Michelle said mocking someone's voice.

"Is that your censorship for sex?" Kelly asked and Michelle nodded, "Pretty much."

Sex. Yeah sex—that's pretty much all that guy wants out of her. Beyoncé thought. She was buying the fact that after Safaree begged her to put in a good word for him—he wasn't just trying to fuck.

"W-Well now I'm confused." Onika whined and Kelly calmed her, "How about we tag alone again on your..not date thing?" Kelly asked and Onika nodded quickly. "Please? I-I'm just really confused and even more nervous now." Onika mumbled.

"We'll be right there!" Kelly said and Onikas nerves were calmed.

.
.
.

"Its so cute!" Onika exclaimed looking at the fish in the container. Her face was pressed against it and Safaree smiled.