IX

Onika Tanya Maraj

It was the next week and Onika was continuing her routine. It was Wednesday and she didn't have a lot of classes that day.

She decided to spend her time in the library. Onika always sat in the back of the library—usually on the floor criss cross style. She always enjoyed reading growing up—she put alot of her time into academics because of her lack of socializing.

She didn't have friends to keep her company—she had a cat that she was sad she had to leave for college—and her aunt.

When Onika read books she read them in one sitting no matter how long the book was. She had closed her 2nd book and set it down next to her.

She smiled thinking back to last Saturday. She was happy Beyonce liked her gift—and she was curious about these "interviews" Beyoncé suggested. Onika wasn't sure how much Beyoncé wanted to know about her.

It wasn't that Onika didn't have an interesting life or background but—it was more depressing if anything. She frowned thinking of her past.

She smiled again though remembering that her Aunt was moving closer to Onika—claiming she hated that small town anyways and Onika believed it. Onika wasn't fond of it either.

Her smile got wider remembering her aunt found a place for her bakery. So Onika could enjoy her pastries again.

Vanessa Maraj

Venessa Maraj was a strong woman—that's what she made herself out to be. She never could see herself raising kids.

And then ended up raising one.

She was currently finishing packing up the last of her belongings before getting a call from a familiar number. She answered while plopping down on her couch that would soon be moved out aswell.

"Micah." She stated.

"Well that's no way to greet your nephew." Micah said in a sassy tone. Venessa rolled her eyes a bit.

"Anyways Auntie—quick question." Micah stated. "Shoot." Vanessa said as she counted the amount of boxes she had in her living room.

"No big deal ya know or anything just uh.."

"When did you plan on telling me my younger sister got into Brown—and I'm literally her teacher." Micah said irritated. Venessa groaned a bit. She knew this call was coming.

"I'm my defense I didn't know how to say it! I also didn't know you even worked at Brown until like 3 weeks ago." Vanessa uttered.

"Vanessa. I want to see my sister." Micah stated seriously. Vanessa sighed. "You see her like every other day ya know you uh—you teach her!" She said and Micah groaned. "You know what I mean!"

Vanessa sighed and put her head in her hands. "Micah—you know I love you—but Onika hasn't seen you since she was like 4. I'm not sure howd she react and—Micah you're not the issue." Vanessa finally voiced.

Micah wasn't the issue, he knew that. He was mad at the two "issues" that prohibited him from seeing his only sibling grow up.

"I know I'm not the issue—is it bad I just want to talk to her? After all these years I mean—I'm tired that I only get updates about her through you." Micah said. Micah was a usual joyful person but this subject always made him upset.

"I want to see what kind of person she's turned out to be. Or what she'll make of herself—she's already a great artist I can tell that. I feel like i'm watching from the sidelines." Micah explained.