XV

Onika Tanya Maraj

Onika marveled at her work with a wide smile, smile.

"Bey! Bey!" Onika called and Beyoncé looked up from her phone to see an excited Onika.  She directed her eyes to the piece infront of her and found herself smiling.

"You finished it?" Beyoncé asked and Onika nodded, "I did! It's dry and everything! Do you like it?" Onika asked and Beyoncé nodded, she thought it was genuinely cute.

"It's cute. It's based off you cat right? Mariposa?" Beyoncé asked and Onika nodded, she was really happy Beyoncé remembered.

"Do you think my aunt will love it as much as I do?" Onika asked a little self conscious and Beyoncé nodded immediately, "I'm sure she will. Who wouldn't? I loved that painting you made of me. You're a real artist." Beyoncé said looking at Onika.

"I'm serious you are." Beyoncé said and Onika couldn't help but smile shyly. "Thanks." She said low.

She picked up the mug and made sure to hold it upright, "Is there news paper over there? I need to protect it." Onika said and Beyoncé looked behind her in her seat to see some news paper. She got a hand full and passed it to Onika.

"Thank you!" Onika said smiling and Beyoncé admired her as she wrapped it. Onika caught her looking at her—she didn't know why she always got a little more nervous under her stare.

"Wha—what is it?" Onika asked and Beyoncé snapped out of while clearing her throat, she's been doing that alot lately.

"N-Nothing." Beyoncé mumbled scratching the back of her neck.

A question popped in Onikas mind as she was oblivious to a nervous Beyoncé.

"Wh-What do you like to do?"  Onika asked and Beyoncé looked towards her in surprise. She pointed at herself, "Me?" She asked and Onika nodded setting her news paper packaged pottery aside.

"Uh huh. F-Friends learn about each other right?" Onika asked and Beyoncé was still a little surprised at the question.

"I—like my friends. Hanging out with them I mean—they're kind of a refresher. No matter how many times you see us argue." Beyoncé admitted without looking Beyoncé in the eye.

"I-I think that's real sweet." Onika admitted. She could tell Beyoncé enjoyed hanging around her friends—and that she genuinely cared for them.

"It's whatever—I uh—I don't have a lot of hobbies. I usually don't have time during the..school year. I'm always busy with school work no matter how much I complain and pretend I don't care."Beyoncé said sighing.

Onika noticed her slight change in mood.

"What's wrong?" Onika asked and Beyoncé looked up at her hesitantly. "It's nothing." Beyoncé mumbled and Onika kept her eyes on her.

Beyoncé had no idea why she felt intimidated by those dark brown almost black eyes looking at her so innocently.

"Are you sure?" Onika asked sitting in the stool next to Beyoncé. "M-My aunt says bottling up your emotions is bad." Onika said taking Beyonce's hand again.

Beyoncé noticed how comfortable Onika had gotten being her friend—and she didn't mind. She felt herself get more nervous at Onikas touch.

She had girls touch her all the time—she never got nervous at it.

"Your aunt sounds like mom." Beyoncé mumbled.

"You did admit your mom is a smart lady." Onika said and Beyoncé sighed, with a light smile.