IV

Beyoncé Giselle Knowles

I stared at her for a little more. She basically flung to Kelly the whole time. It reminded me of when my younger sister didn't want to leave our mom on her first day of kindergarten.

"Abel, how about you show Onika some of the aisles while you both stock some of the shelves?" Kelly asked and Abel nodded quickly.

Abel smiled, he could tell Onika looked nervous. "I'm Abel! That tall meanie over there who still wears batman pajamas goes by Beyonce." He whispered but not low enough because I definitely heard.

"Shut up dude." I said and he just laughed. I saw him pick up 2 boxes and Onika followed close behind him. I watched them go till I heard Kelly's voice—and a slap in the neck.

"Damn!" I turned around quickly to look at the culprit and she had her hands on her hips.

"What did you do?" She asked and I threw my hands up in defense. "Why are you automatically assuming I did something huh?" I asked. It wasn't fair for her to automatically assume.

"Because Nika looked super nervous around you particularly and she openly went with Abel. You did something." She determined looking me up and down and I groaned.

"I didn't even do anything..I may or may not have been rude to her on Syllabus day but that's just me! I can't think of anything else I did.." I thought and I didn't even get a good look at her face.

"Well you better apologize to her." She demanded and I scoffed. "Why should I? and who are you tell me what to do?" I walked passed her and went into my backpack to tie my apron behind my back.

"I'm your boss, and I know your moms phone number. and just apologize! You telling me you don't feel any ounce of guilt for being mean to her?" She asked and I would be lying if I said I didn't.

"Fine yeah, I feel kinda bad. I was extra annoyed that day." I mumbled and she nodded smiling. "Exactly. Make sure you apologize her. Genuinely, not reluctantly." She added and I nodded.

"Yeah. Yeah. I will. Fine." I mumbled and I heard a sound of approval. "And because you were mean to her, Im making you stock the individual paints." She declared and I groaned.

"Are you kidding me? Those always fall, and they take forever to deal with Kelly. You cant make me do that—this is work prejudice!" I claimed and she shook her head.

"Prejudice my ass nigga. Move it." She snapped and I got to work on one of the most annoying parts of my job.

.
.
.
.

Onika moved quickly and swiftly. She avoided Beyoncé at any cost. She learned a few things while with Abel.

"Okay so do you get it? Always put them up like this so it's easier for customers to grab." He explained and she nodded quietly.

"Ya know, you don't talk much unless you're apologizing for something." He said out loud. slightly chuckling. Onika blushed in embarrassment. She preferred to keep quiet. "Sorry." She said quietly and Abel turned around quickly.

"Don't apologize! It's nothing to be sorry for—jeez you apologize a lot."He asked chuckling a little and Onika got quiet again.

He frowned a bit.He looked down at the box infront of them and crouched down to Onikas level. They began stocking the low shelves and Abel spoke up again.

"Ya know Beyoncé isn't that bad." He said as he arranged some of the brushes. Onika wasn't so sure—she wanted to say sorry for making her feel uncomfortable but now she's determined she can't even look her in the eye.