Chapter-11

An: new style of writing for Tanya, hope you all enjoy!

I let my soft smile go to the wayside as I let the young lad in front of me work through his emotional turmoil. Truthfully, I had planned to be much more thorough with my interrogation, but my new instincts were telling me to let the young man work it out himself.

I checked the strangely still child in my arms and saw that she was currently sleeping. The blood from Mr. Santonio's fists left a subtle mark on her clothes. It bothered me more than it should have.

"Give me a moment Mr. Santonio. I need to clean up and put Alice back to bed." I leaned over a bit to show the crying mess that she was asleep and he nodded knowingly.

After receiving his nod I stood up slowly, making sure to not wake Alice from her slumber.

I quickly made it to our shared room. Stripping her down to her under garments, I tossed the blood soaked clothes into a hamper.

Ever since the end of the war and my miraculous escape from my own execution, I have somewhat developed an intolerance for anything to be dirty.

I don't know if it is some sort of OCD or PTSD, but I cannot live in a house that constantly has the smell of iron.

That reminds me, I need to get into contact with her...

I don't start a bath or anything for Alice like I usually would, instead I place her gently under the covers. Resting her head delicatalty on the pillow. Making sure not to wake her.

The only person to have found me while I have been on the run...

I stood up and left the room. Locking the door behind me. I can't have her swaying my judgment anymore than this.

A certain redhead that just so happened to be very close with Visha.

I returned to the storefront, daylight was now streaming in as the sun had just risen past the horizon. The rays of pink and orange were replaced with the constant yellow perminace that accompanied every waking day of a peaceful life.

I look toward the boy. Like any good soldier he had stayed where he should have. Not moving or letting curiosity make him wander. He's a good fit.

"Sorry for that Mr. Santonio. But my daughter was tired and I had to remove any distractions before we could have a serious talk." I give him a pointed look.

He nods in response and I find myself liking this prospect more and more. He gives a quick and efficient response without feeling the need to elaborat- "Please...Call me Carlos, Tanya. I feel like you're speaking of my father when you do that..."

Never-mind. Seems like I have a lot of training to do with this one.

I give him a pointed look, "It's Mrs. Defikai to you mister Santonio."

"Yes! Sorry Mrs. Defikai!" He yelps in response. Good. He's a fast learner as well.

I grabbed the chair and pulled it back a bit, before I sat down I noticed that his hands were still bleeding. I tsked at the sight and went over to my first aid cabinet. Grabbing a Band-Aid, 2 pieces of gauze, and some rubbing alcohol.

I poured out the alcohol onto the gauze and looked toward him. He had been watching me through the entire process. When our eyes met, he didn't think twice and stood up, walking to the counter where he outstretched his hands.

Thinking nothing of it but good non-verbal communication. I grabbed his hand and rubbed the gauze without alcohol on it first, letting it soak up all of the blood it could before I seared it shut with the disinfecting agents of alcohol.