Twenty-Two

A/N: Last chapter of ARC II!!!!!! (Thanks to Dark Carnage for beta-ing)

Warning—10K words ahead. Enjoy, lol.

LUKE jumped off Blackjack just as the giant panther with the green eyes skidded to a stop next to the pegasus. He instantly shifted into the Titan of the Earth, black hair billowing around him, eyes alight with what seemed like pleasure. Chiron came to a halt a few feet away from them, along with the pot bellied satyr, Silenus, and a couple of the Apollo cabin archers.

The activities director looked around at their small party—The Titan, Luke, Zoë, Bianca, Clarisse, Nico, and Grover—his expression was guarded and a little bit apprehensive. His gaze locked onto the black-haired deity, and then back onto Luke. "What happened?" He simply asked.

When the son of Hermes finished relaying their journey to the old centaur, his expression was grave, although he didn't seem as distressed about Thalia's turning as Luke had expected.

"Thalia gave us a message," Zoë stepped forward. "I do not understand why, but she probably thought we were going to die and would never escape to tell anyone else. Aphrodite and Athena are leading the army with a barrier to stop our first wave of arrows and explosions and traps. Someone has to break it."

"I can do that," Perseus shrugged. "I'm a Titan and we're not bound by ancient laws like the gods are."

"Lelantos, Hecate and Eris will be here too. And the unclaimed, minor god's children, Aphrodite and Athena cabins are traitors," Bianca finished for Zoë. "We have to round them up and deal with them." The centaur nodded thoughtfully.

"We must hurry, then. Hopefully, you have slowed down Kronos, but his vanguard will still be coming through the Maze. They will want blood." He turned back to Perseus, pursing his lips. "We will discuss your presence later, Uncle. For now, if you are here to help us defend our camp, then you must come with me."

Perseus nodded, and Chiron turned, about to trot off when the fat satyr yelled, "What of the search for Pan? You are almost two months overdue, Underwood. Your searcher's licence is revoked!"

Grover took in a deep breath and Luke felt sorry for his old friend. His life ambition and goal had been shattered with just that visit into the cave. But Grover stood tall and looked the annoying goat in the eyes. "It doesn't matter anymore. Pan is dead. He has passed on and left us his spirit."

"Blasphemy!" Silenus turned red. "Sacrilege and lies! I shall have you exiled for speaking like that!"

"He speaks the Truth," Perseus stepped forward, eyes narrowed. A cold and unfriendly aura was emanating from him. "I was there myself, as were all of these young brave heroes." When the satyr opened his mouth to speak again, Perseus cut him off. "We saw him die. If you won't believe them, you must believe me. I swear it on Khaos' name, and on the name of my niece, Styx."

Chiron inhaled sharply. Silenus looked stricken when nothing happened. "Impossible! You are all liars!"

The centaur shook his head, pinching the bridge of his nose. "We will speak of this later if we survive the coming battle."

"We will—"

"Silenus." For the first time since they had met, Chiron snapped. "My camp is under attack. Pan's case has waited almost two thousand years. It can wait another half a day." He turned, shooting the satyr a callous look and galloping towards the woods.

It didn't take long to catch up with him, and when they did, Luke stared around in amazement. Chiron moved to the command tent in the centre. It was the biggest military operation he had ever seen at Camp. Everyone was at the clearing, dressed in full armour like they did during camp competitions. Except that this wasn't a game. This was real. The Hephaestus cabin had set up traps around the entrance to the Maze, wires, pits of greek fire and rows of sharpened sticks. Beck was manning two catapults, already primed and aimed at Zeus's fist.