14. You'd Understand Why I Want You

June

Niall's P.O.V

"Are you ready yet, Sophie?" Alice called out again, rolling her eyes at me in amusement. We were sitting in the living room, where we had been for the last twenty minutes, joking together at Sophie's expense.

"Just a second," Sophie called back, attempting to sound light-hearted but I could hear the guilt in her voice a mile away.

"You said that ten minutes ago," Alice teased back, hearing it too but not caring enough to be sympathetic.

I didn't bother hiding my laughter, "Don't worry, we're not in a rush."

"I'm not worrying," Sophie ran through the living room door, "see, I'm ready now."

I smiled at her, still laughing. She and Alice both looked at each other, frowning, and then turned to stare at me with expressions full of questions.

"Why are you finding this funny?" Alice asked.

"Because it's bloody hilarious," I replied, giving a wide grin that showed off my teeth.

"I forgot our date and you're not even mad?" Sophie asked, still dumbfounded.

I shook my head, because I wasn't even the tiniest bit mad. "I think it's funny because usually it's the guy who forgets. And you have an excuse, your life has been busy."

"So has yours," Sophie pointed out, grabbing her jacket from the back of the sofa.

"Yeah, but I'm used to it," I shrugged, "ready?"

"Yup," she nodded.

"Finally," Alice muttered, receiving a glare from Sophie. "Have fun, guys. Don't be home too late."

"Alice, it's still the morning," Sophie pointed out.

"Take a joke, Soph. See you guys later!" She rushed her last sentence and slammed the door shut behind us before Sophie could complain about the nickname.

I turned to Sophie again, but she spoke first. "Niall, I'm so, so sorry for forgetting, I feel so bad," she bit her lip, looking absolutely irresistible, and being honest now that Alice was out of earshot.

I shook my head, leading the way down to my car. "I don't want to hear another word about it. It makes no difference to our day so there's nothing to worry about," I smiled reassuringly. "I'm just happy that you said yes in the first place, I was fully expecting a no."

Sophie blushed, "You were?"

"Yeah, I wasn't sure you'd be interested," I admitted, opening the door for her to get in.

"Right," she chewed on her lip again, but then her face broke into a grin, "Dating Niall Horan, how could I decline?"

I rolled my eyes and shut the car door in her face.

* * *

"Are you gonna tell me where we're going yet?" Sophie asked.

"No," I laughed, "but we're nearly here anyway."

Sophie's head lifted up as she moved onto her tiptoes to peer over the crowd, "We're in Covent Garden..."

"Yes, well done," I rolled my eyes as I grabbed her hand and pulled her through the crowds of people towards the front door.

Sophie looked up when we got to the entrance and I smiled as her eyes widened in surprise when she saw where we were standing.

"The Royal Opera House?" she asked.