6. You Light Up My World Like Nobody Else

March

Niall's P.O.V

I felt my phone vibrate and whipped it out from my pocket immediately, knowing exactly who it would be. Sure enough, it was the text I had been expecting.

Niall, I hate you. It's HALF PAST SEVEN on my only day off I get all month. Why am I friends with you?

I laughed quietly to myself – antagonising Sophie had brought so much fun to my life over the last month. I'd deliberately set an alarm on her phone when I'd met up with her last week because she was telling me how excited she was to have a lie in, and I just couldn't resist it.

I bit back my laughter as I replied, not wanting any of the boys to get suspicious.

Sorry babe, you're new to this so I figured you needed to get used to the early mornings x

I shoved my phone back in my pocket and acted like I was paying attention. Today was going to be a good day – we were supposed to be song-writing so I knew it wouldn't exactly be hard work and I'd get away with being on my phone a lot. Harry and I usually dossed around on songwriting days; we worked better when were on our own and often brought ideas to the group that we'd come up with independently. On days like today, we let Liam and Louis do most of the work and Zayn tended to float between us and them.

My phone vibrated again within two minutes.

Used to early mornings? What Irish planet do you come from? x

I laughed but didn't text back, knowing she'd want to get back to sleep. I walked over to where Liam and Louis were sitting and peered over their shoulder.

"What love anthem are we writing today, boys? One about heartbreak, one about the girl of your dreams, maybe even one about sex?" I mocked.

"Nope, one about how an Irish guy is totally in love with his friend but just won't admit it," Louis remarked, quick-witted as ever.

"That'll be a hit for sure," I commented, slumping back to the sofa and not bothering to defend myself because it just didn't work anymore. I'd had two months of it already – I could handle it now.

I grabbed a guitar and started plucking away while Harry came and sat down next to me. "Admitted your feelings to her yet?" he winked.

"Not even to myself, mate, and I'll tell you why – because there aren't any." I was very clear with my words, speaking in a light-hearted enough tone for him to know I wasn't annoyed, but strong enough for him to believe I was speaking the truth.

Harry frowned at me, not buying it even a little. He hopped over the back of the sofa to sit down next to me. "Niall, I'm actually going to ask you a serious question now."

I turned to look at him, "Okay..."

He stared at me and left me hanging for a few more seconds. "Are you really serious when you say you don't have any feelings towards her?"

"Yes, completely, I'm one hundred perc-" I started off talking but my phone buzzed again and before I could stop myself, it was in my hand and I was opening the text.

Niall, you are so bloody annoying. Now I can't get back to sleep!

I laughed out loud, making all the boys turn to face me. I looked up as if nothing had happened, "What?"

Zayn rolled his eyes, "What did Sophie say this time?"

"Nothing, it was just a mate," I attempted to cover, although I knew before any words came out that whatever I said would be redundant.