Chapter 25: Home

The next day they landed at Boston Logan International. Jane made a face, pulling Maura's checked bag from the conveyer belt. It made more sense at the time to just pack all their clothes into one suitcase.

"You know what I'm gonna do?" Jane asked as they made their way through the baggage claim.

"Tell me," Maura said, linking her arm with Jane's.

"I'm gonna adopt Gizmo from his foster family. I really got attached and so did he and Joe'll love him, I know she will" Jane said in a whining tone.

Maura smiled. "So will Bass".

They're back. The adventure slash nightmare is over and her new reality hits Jane all over again. She got the woman of her dreams to agree to marry her. Will she move in with Maura? She loves her apartment but she could never convince the doctor to move in with her.

Her shoes alone need their own room. Will they get a new place of their own? Jane has always felt most at home at Beacon hill come to think of it. But that had nothing to do with the neighborhood, decor, or living space and everything to do with Maura. She made the house a home.

They exit the airport in search of the car Maura insisted on hiring and a mob of cameramen and reporters swoop in on the women like a swarm of bees. Jane instinctively places herself between them and Maura in an instant.

"What the hell!?" Jane yelled over the noise. They push through the crowd in search of their driver.

"Detective Rizzoli! Is it true that you and Doctor Isles were involved in the operation to expose David Malcolm junior and his father, the senior advisor to POTUS regarding the New England drilling scandal in 2014?" a pushy brunette reporter asks, pushing her mic into Jane's face.

"How did they find out about us?" Maura asked, holding on to Jane. The operation was top secrete. So was their involvement in it. What a fucking mess, Jane thinks clenching jaw angrily.

"Detective!"

Maura smiles politely and repeats 'No comment'. Jane looks like she's about to combust. Maura grips Jane tightly. She's never been particularly camera-friendly as the chief of police put it.

"Doctor Isles, can you comment on the autopsy of Grace Brennan?-"

"Can you say anything about the charges they will be facing in the Supreme Court in the upcoming t-"

They see their driver holding a board with their names. The reporters are relentless, they push in on the women, and Jane hands the suitcase to the driver before turning on her heel toward them angrily. Maura grabs hold of her and ushers her into the car.

Safely in the car at last they both exhale a sigh of relief. "Someone must have tipped them off- Gah what a shit show! Cavenagh'll be furious" Jane huffs.

Maura puts her hand on Jane's clenched fist. "All that matters is that we're back and we're ok, Jane," Maura says, rubbing her thumb over Jane's hand that relaxed a bit more.

Jane opens her mouth to speak when her phone rings. "Rizzoli... Ma calm down" Jane says, moving her phone a little further from her ear.

Angela is furious. They had to lie when they first went undercover. Jane told her mother that she and Maura were going on a trip to Thailand on a soul cleanse thing that Maura wanted to go to. No outside communication allowed. Jane was proud of herself for that one right up until Angela yelled at her over the phone. She obviously saw the news.

After the phone call, Jane drops her head back to the seat and grunts. "I take it Angela knows?" Maura asks softly.

"Uh-hum" Jane is exhausted, the 9-hour flight from Italy didn't help. She lets out a sigh and looks toward Maura. "Let's talk about something else"