Chapter 11: Tryouts Part 2

Jane and Maura pull up to the location. Music is blasting in the distance. There are far more people than Maura was expecting. The crowds are circling the car and cheering excitedly as they hear Jane rev the powerful engine.

Jane grips the wheel nervously. "You sure you don't want to wear it? It's common in hip hop culture and you'll blend in nicely" Jane turns off the engine and looks to Maura with a defeated look. "For the third time, I am not putting that du-rag on my head, god woman" Jane says in her usual frustrated tone.

"It's not a du-rag, it's a bandana. But alright." Maura is suddenly glad she opted for her tight-fitting leather pants and crop top. There are women half her age all over the place wearing very little. Mini skirts, shorts, and some even bikinis or topless!

Jane is wearing a black tank top, matching jeans, and boots. Her hair flowed wildly down her shoulders. They get out of the car and the guy that Jane bent over his own engine the other day comes up to her smiling widely "Veloci-tee. You made it. Ooh damn and who is Mrs. Fire?" he says energetically looking at Maura, standing by Jane's side.

"She's mine. That's all you need to know-" Jane says, holding Maura protectively by her waist. "Sarah Walker, a pleasure to meet you" Maura says, holding out her hand gracefully. "Call me Bear, the pleasure is all mine baby. You two vagitarians?" He blurts out, his eyes shifting between the two women. Maura is intrigued by the phrase, her mind dissecting it as they speak.

"Yes. Now quit ogling and focus! Tell me about the other racers." Jane exclaims aggressively. "Alright damn. See that guy over there?" he says pointing to a tough-looking Korean man covered in tattoos, he's also quite handsome in a dangerous kind of way. "They call him Omar, to this day no one really knows where he came from but he is hands down the best racer here tonight and he has a temper" Bear says warningly.

Jane nods intently. Maura reaches for Jane's hand. Not quite sure how she fits into this scene just yet. She sees the way the other women and men look at Jane. She has coached herself to deal with the badge bunnies that throw themselves at the detective from time to time but this crowd is a little more aggressive.

Women throwing themselves over the cars of the racers. Beautiful women. Tall some of them, wearing what they're wearing. Maura can't help but squeeze Jane's hand almost possessively. She knows Jane is straight and would also not fraternize on the job, but she also knows that sexuality is fluid. It only takes one to peak curiosity. The doctor thinks to herself.

People are implementing roadblocks at each street leading to the long stretch of road. Jane has counted 7 felonies including illegal substance abuse, possession of unregistered semi-automatic, and even violent assaults. She is however focused on the task at hand.

Jane doesn't see Reid. He should be here by now. Otherwise, this is all for nothing. She thinks to herself. A loud horn goes off and the crowd turns the music down slightly in response. Daddy Dave is standing on the back of a lifted Chevy truck. How he got on there is beyond her.

"How we doin tonight?!" he exclaims into a microphone and the crowd of seemingly 600 people goes wild. "Let's have a clean race. I have with me-" he says as he reaches into his shirt pocket "$50 000 for the winner. But before we can race we gotta see who has what it takes. So if you want to compete for this-" he says holding the stacked envelope in the air.

"Let's have a little test drive shall we?. Racers... to...your... cars!" he exclaims dramatically. Maura feels Jane's hand slip from hers. As she moves to the Dodge. Maura's face falls a little in sadness. Then Jane turns and gives a wink followed by a smile. Maura responds with a loving smile.