Chapter 12: Late-night Dinner

Jane is coming off her high from the whole evening as they walk over to the Reids front door. You almost told her tonight! Get it together Rizzoli. You canNOT tell Maura you're in love with her now!? It could ruin the operation!

Besides, there is no way she could ever feel the same, so why even put yourself through that? Just make it through until this case is over- you got this Jane. The detective practically yells in her head as she reaches for the doorbell and places her arm around the smaller woman.

"Hey, guys. Welcome to our home" Emily says warmly as she opens the door for the duo. Maura gasps at the elegant style in the Reids home. They do have excellent taste Maura thinks as she makes her way to the living space in the middle of the house. Frankie circles the women, tail wagging and sniffing their clothes.

They have a fire going in an authentic stone chimney. Christian is playing on a white grand piano in an elevated corner of the room. "Can I get you some drinks?" Emily asks with a smile, her eyes shifting between them. Jane is taken aback, he's playing a piece she used to play often. She hadn't thought about playing piano again until she heard Reid play.

"Yes please, whatever you're making," Maura says warmly. The women make their way over to Reid. They both look intently around the home like they're making mental notes for their upcoming snooping expedition. Jane notices everything is automated and connected to the home security system. The lights, doors, even the windows are all controlled by a touch screen situated against the wall.

"I was watching you intently tonight. I've seen many drivers race. Most of them have more balls than talent. But they lack respect... You, however, were fearless... there was connection... Beauty" Christain says, playing the piano simultaneously.

"Well, I try to do everything to the fullest. Leave it all on the field" Jane says leaning against the piano. "I can see that about you. In Venezuela we say: Tienes el fuego en ti. You have the fire in you"

"The fire?" Jane asks as Maura hands over her drink.

"The fire for life. Passion, Lauren. We are no better than animals in this world if we don't have passion." Jane and Maura listen intently.

"Being alive is a gift. If you go to work and come home to watch tv 300 nights of the year, you are wasting that gift. Then you are no better than a hamster...repeating the same cycle every day..." "Hm," Maura says, nodding and sipping her drink in thought.

"...Love goes hand in hand with the fire. If you do not love with everything inside of you, every cell in your body, you are no different from a bull going from cow to cow."

Maura nods intently. Jane tries not to laugh. She is starting to put Reid together like a puzzle, one corner piece at a time. He has a real all-or-nothing mentality. He cares very much about his family, they are the center of his world and he also values time, quality time above all else.

Though his accent and some of his metaphors can make her want to burst with laughter. She has been the giggle at a funeral one too many times. A serious situation such as this one is agony for the detective when she has the giggles.

It doesn't help that the oh-so-deep and spiritual Maura is listening so intently and glancing to Jane every so often to see how Reids' words are impacting her.

"I agree completely," Maura says genuinely...

The duo sits at the kitchen island while Christian cooks. "Is there anything I can help with?" Maura asks with a giddy expression "Ah you cook?" Christian asks excitedly. Since Emily doesn't cook her is excited at the prospect of sharing the passion. "Oh, she makes the most amazing food!" Jane exclaims as she thinks back to some of the mouth-watering dishes the doctor has prepared for her over the years.