Chapter 8: Maura vs the suburbs

Jane wakes up to an unfamiliar bark next to her bed. "Gizmo, no" she mumbles, stretching out under the covers. Her hand keeps going to find a cold side of the bed. She lifts her head 7o'2. Jane reluctantly gets out of bed. Her nostrils are met with the delicious aroma of breakfast. Maura.

She smiles absentmindedly as she makes her way down the foreign stairs of their temporary home. Jane still can't help but pause every time she passes their 'wedding photos' in the hall. She remembers the kiss they had only two days ago, Chuck snapping away in the background.

Jane leans against the wall leading to the kitchen. She finds a barefoot Maura in her nightgown, frying bacon. Josh Groban playing softly on the speakers in the kitchen. Maura swaying gracefully and Gizmo sitting by her feet. Hopeful that she would drop a piece of food by accident.

Maura turns around to place the bacon on a plate on the island table. "Oh good morning. Coffee?" Maura says in her chipper morning voice. Jane smiles and nods as she goes to sit down. "Good morning, how did you sleep?" Maura hands Jane a cup of coffee and pushes her plate with an omelet and bacon strips towards her.

"Really well. That bed is amazing, I was worried I would miss my bed but that California King is amazing" Jane hums in delight as she sips her coffee. "Did Gizmo wake you too? I think he's a morning dog, he can be quite vocal... yes you are" Maura says turning to talk to the pug in a voice Jane has only heard a few times before.

"Wow, Joe Friday would be devastated. You know you are cheating on her right? She'll know" Maura gives Gizmo a last belly rub then washes her hands to join Jane at the table. "I'm starting the planning for the housewarming. Should we have a live band? This house was made for dinner parties! I think we can fit 60 people in the house and backyard."

"I would say die it down but we are trying to attract some extravagant crazys so have at it." Jane takes the last bite of her omelet and sips her coffee. The morning sunlight is streaming in and Jane could swear Maura has a halo surrounding her as she scribbles on her notepad. Jane takes a mental image.

She could just stare at the woman in front of her for hours. Her hair is still a little messy from sleep, her silk nightgown that ends just above mid-thigh, hugging her in all the right places. "Ok I'm going grocery shopping later, is there anything you wanna add to the list?"

"Hmm, I can't think o- ooh can you get Reese's pieces?... the little cups and ooh milk duds. I've been craving em... thank you" Jane says sheepishly. Maura smiles warmly as she adds it to the list.

"Ok, I'm gonna get ready for 'work'. I only wish they let me drive race cars all day but that's only a small part of my day. Then I have to start looking for heist jobs in need of a driver to build credibility. Ugh, the places I have to ask around make my skin crawl."

"Just be glad you don't have to befriend a stay-at-home pole dancer" Maura says, her eyebrow raised as she puts her cup in the sink. "You're right you have it worse, bye" Jane says as she leaves to see whether the packages with her undercover clothes have come.

"Right on schedule, please have badass leather pants like last time, please" Jane mumbles as she drags the boxes inside from the front door. "Are those?-" "Our clothes yeah. Grab one, let's take em upstairs" Jane says as they carry the packages up the stairs to the bedroom.

The whole bed is covered in clothes, Maura can't stop herself. Jane grabs a bunch of David Beckham-looking clothing and starts putting on black jeans, a white designer t-shirt and a leather jacket with matching boots

"Ok, this is badass. I look like a female Tom Cruise from Top Gun" Jane says as she poses in front of the mirror "Hmm sexy" Maura says as she glances over. Her attention back to the clothes at hand.