Chapter 5: Training day

Jane comes home from a long day at work, looking forward to nothing more than a barefoot, BPD t-shirt wearing Maura, cooking Jane's favorite meal. She could feel the soothe of the cold beer running down her throat already as she placed her keys in a bowl by the door of their suburban home.

She hears a loud smashing sound followed by a scream that ignites every fiber of her being with pure terror. She turns the corner leading to the kitchen, grasping at her bare hip in search of her missing sidearm. He has her. Maura tries to pry his arm away from her neck.

Glass plates are spread out in broken pieces on the floor where she struggled to fight off her attacker. Reid has a large caliber Desert Eagle gun to Maura's head and Jane's whole world seems to be shattering in front of her.

"Let her go!" Jane screams, her voice is cracking and more rugged than it's ever been. "You're cops. This bitch was snooping in my home. They think they can bring me down by sending two flimsy bitches to spy on us!" Christian says holding a mortified Maura against him tightly.

"Just let her go and you can disappear. They'll never find you, I'll help you just don't hurt her" Jane manages to say looking at Maura like it's the last time she will see those hazel eyes, even now in this horrifying moment the ME looks at Jane with more love and adoration than the brunette could bear.

"Oh you have it bad for the blonde don't you. Not just a cover then. I can respect that. I love my wife very much too. I'll show mercy and kill her quick, no pain.-". "Jane, I'm so sorry. I love you. Don't be sad ok? You made me feel everything and more than I have ever longed for- I am not sad if this is how I die, ok?"

"No! Don't you touch her! Maura, don't talk like that, I won't let him hurt you. Just point the gun at me, I am the one you want, she's not even a cop, Reid!" Jane exclaims, holding her hands out defensively.

"This is touching, it really is...But no one messes with my family and gets away with it. Goodbye Sarah..." "NO!". BANG.

Jane's eyes shoot open. Her body, covered in a layer of sweat. She turns frantically, searching for a sign of life when she gasps to find the honey blonde sleeping soundly, right next to Jane. Maura must have climbed in the detective's bed during the night because she was draped over the brunette, with her leg over Jane's thighs, anchoring her from falling off the other side of the small bed.

Jane exhales loudly in relief, causing the honey blonde to stir. Jane looks at Maura, a still trembling hand comes up to stroke the side of Maura's cheek. Warm, lively flesh meets the soft touch of Jane's hand.

You are losing it, Rizzoli. It seemed so real, so vivid. I can still hear her, telling me it's ok when she knows she's going to die. Fucking hell, even in my dreams she's still so annoyingly selfless.

Jane grabs her phone, hoping it's still early. She could really use a run. Yes! 6 o' 2 am. Jane moves at a glacial pace, gently lifting the soft, alabaster arm and placing it gently on Maura's side. Then wiggling her legs out of Maura's grip. Jane misjudges the space she had on her side and falls to the floor, a small yelp escapes her throat just before she hits the floor.

I can't catch a break, can I? Jane thinks to herself as she lays on her back. "Jane, what are you doing?" comes the voice of a sleepy Maura. Jane stands quickly, tossing her hair frantically. "I'm going for a run, I'll be back in about an hour but we don't have to be in class until 9." Jane says softly just in case the ME is sleeping again, her eyes are still closed.

Jane hurriedly puts on her sports bra and running shorts when Maura sits upright. "You fell out of bed didn't you? They're not very spacious are they?" Maura says looking down at the small single bed. "I couldn't sleep last night after I had a nightmare so I got in next to you"