Chapter Twenty-nine

Start from the beginning

I picked up the remnants of my frazzled mind and put them together, doubling after him.

               ⛰️🏞️🏞️

We were back behind that big tree which made it difficult for anyone to see us even if they were staring our way.

The night watchman was at his spot, sitting cross-legged as he sipped something from a plastic cup.
His spot was between the two paths.

Per Jordan's plan,we were to take the path on the right– that's the path that leads to the Pope's convent while the opposite leads to the nuns'.

The watchman had his side profile facing us right now, and his back to the left route.

If we could tiptoe without him stirring or turning the least, then we'll be good to dash rightwards.

   "Are you ready?" Jordan whispered, resting his gaze fixedly on the man.

  "Yeah."I said in an equal whisper.

    "Okay on the count of three, we leave soundlessly. 3-–2–"

The screen of Jordan's phone lit up.

With wide eyes,we both stared at it, Samuel's name popping.

The phone rung, the typical iPhone tune. And very loud.

   "Shit."

We both muttered at once, our eyes finding their way to the watchman.

He visibly jumped out of his skin, his head swiveling fast to our direction. And slowly, he lowered his cup to the ground.

  "Run,run, run,run!" Jordan said for both of us and without waiting for confirmation from my brain, my legs took off.

We run like there were zombies after us.

By this time, the watchman had already caught view and was yelling at us to stop as he also stomped after us.

I was surprised of how a man of his age could really keep up with our pace.

   "Hey! Hey! Stop right there!"

He thought we crazy.

My heart was threatening to burst out of my ribcage as we dashed into the convent. Our running footsteps were polluting the quietness of the place.

It wouldn't be long before the Fathers come rushing out and questioning us.

In short,we were in some deep shit.

But the watchman was still on our tail.

  "Stop before I get hold of you! I've already caught you. Stop at once, hey! Asay stop, stay where you are!"

   "Jordan,"I panted,"we're dead."

   "Keep going Sam, just keep going. There ought to be a way out of here."

He held his hand towards me and I grabbed it before he was running with speed again, pulling me with him so I wasn't left behind.

I knew we were heading towards a dead end when the Jerusalem wall ahead came into view.

Jordan stopped completely.

"Shit, I'm sorry Sam." A deflated sigh escaped his lips.

My heart plummeted to the ground and I mentally picked it back, my anxiety growing as the watchman kept on eliminating the distance between.

"Asay stop!"

There was nothing we could do but to surrender. My eyes were boring holes into the barrier as if that could make it disappear.