The Portal

It was a hard night, especially for Ny-ell. Not once did he leave Otis's side. He remained on the hard floor, sitting near where the sleeping Wizard's head laid and was stroking his hand. Every once in a while, a groan would leave Otis's lips and we'd all hold our breath, silently praying for his eyes to open.

But they didn't. Not yet, that is.

         Eventually, the Twins had to leave. When they told me that they had to work in the kitchen the next day, I almost cried. Guilt racked through me for dragging the two along all night, especially when they had work the very next day.

J'Mara was quick to brush it off, claiming that our adventure only helped her 'get her steps in'.

        "I really can't thank you two enough." I began, quietly following the girls to the doors.

         J'Mara grinned, "It was super fun. The gathering ingredients part, I mean..." her eyes trailed over to Otis.

         Katara adjusted her bag, "I'm assuming we won't see you in the Kitchen tomorrow?"

         I shook my head with a light laugh, "Probably not. I'm going to stay here with Ny-ell and see how Otis is recovering."

        J'Mara spoke up, "I have a question."

        Katara rolled her eyes. "Here we go."

        "So.. You told us that you're not really the extra help in the kitchen, that you've been coming through the passageway. Yet you're staying in the King's Castle..." She pondered, tilting her head, "Are you there for his pleasure?"

        "J'Mara!" Her twin gasped.

         My eyes widened and I stood there a little speechless. "A-Ah... Um, no- No, I don't-"

The shorter twin watched my reaction and was quick to backpedal, "No! No, No! I don't mean that in a bad way, good for you! Seducing a King, wow. I mean, that's impressive-"

         "Oh my God. You're done, go wait outside." Katara held a tired hand to her head.

          "But-"

         "Outside!"

         She huffed. "Fine. But, I want to meet that small man when he wakes up! Can we come back sometime?" She asked me.

         "Uh... Sure. Y-Yes." I blurted uncomfortably.

        And with that, J'Mara smiled brightly and went out the door with a skip in her step. Katara mumbled a 'sorry...' and I could only awkwardly nod my head as my cheeks flamed.

         Another groan sounded from Otis and we glanced back to where he and Ny-ell remained, on the couch and in front of the fireplace. "He's still seriously hurt. But I do think that he'll be okay. All we can do now is wait for the medicine to do it's work." Katara said.

          I sighed, "Thank you for all the spells and ointments you gave us. Really, they're already helping. The bruises on his face are lightening."

         She nodded curtly.

        "Remember that portal is still active, but the invisibility spell will continue to mask it until it disappears in a few hours."

          I nodded my head and thanked her again and again as she walked outside, joining her sister's side. I stood in the doorway, watching as the two Witches slowly blended into the night.

I went back into the messy little cottage with my cheeks still burning from J'Mara's question. Not only was it embarrassing, but it brought Bron back to my mind.