25. Begin the Purification

We fill the cab of the car with lively conversation for the entire five hours. By 'we', I mean me and my mom. I'm twisted in my seat, blabbering with my mom, so I catch every eye roll my dad shoots at Hope in the rearview mirror. They're the quieter ones in the family, which makes annoying them extremely easy. I think they regretted their decision to join us within the first hour.

By the time we pull up to Seth's uncle's house, my dad has had enough. He rolls down his window and lets out an exaggerated groan as he gulps oxygen into his lungs.

"If I have to listen to another second of you two discussing the best places to hide cash on your body, I will throw up." Then he shoves his door open, shutting it behind him so he can lean against it. When he turns and glances through the window, he gives me a wink and then crosses his arms, happy to freeze to death in the cold if it means a little silence.

"I was interested," Hope mutters, smiling widely.

Mom pats her arm and then turns her attention to me. "You ready, Sweetheart?"

Her question sends a startling panic through my body. We're here but it only just now became a reality. I've come here to quite literally take Seth away from this place. What if he refuses?

I nod in a near state of numbness as I try to smile at my mom. Then I'm pulling the door handle and getting out. As I turn to close the door I catch my dad's eye. He winks again.

"We'll be right here," he assures me, almost as if he can sense the fear crystalizing my muscles together.

Again, all I do is nod before turning toward the house and making careful steps to the front door. There are toys in the front yard, but by the amount of grass encasing them to the ground, it looks like they haven't offered joy to a child in years. One of the front windows is broken and a plastic bag is duck-taped over it, covering the gaping hole. If I hadn't double-checked the address with Shonice, I would have wondered if this place was abandoned.

I walk up the three steps to a small porch decorated with two mismatched folding chairs and a single dead plant. Aside from the broken window though, the house itself seems to be fairly well taken care of. There are no vines climbing up the walls or mold giving it a green hue.

With a breath, I lift my hand and ring the doorbell. I don't hear the muted sound of it ring inside the house, but I wait a minute anyway. Then assuming the doorbell doesn't work, I knock. I'm just about to turn and gesture something to my family watching from the car to let them know it doesn't seem anyone is home when suddenly the door swings open.

"You," the woman says, eyes falling to my feet and then traveling quickly up the length of my body until our eyes meet.

"Hi, Ms. Vans," I mutter. "How are you?"

"I suppose you're here to take my boy."

It's not a question. She's clearly aware of my intentions and doesn't seem the least bit surprised. Has me wondering how often Seth's friends have had to come rescue him like this.

"If that's what he wants," I tell her, trying to offer a warm smile.

Her brows dip as she analyzes my face and I find it difficult to read her body language. She stands, one hand holding the door open and the other perched on her hip. There's no animosity in her demeanor, but I do get a strong sense of caution. She doesn't trust me or my intentions, which is actually quite comical since that's exactly how I feel about her.

"Come." She abruptly pushes the door open and then stands waiting for me to enter.

I slide past her and let my eyes sweep the small home as she closes the door. Nothing is the way I expected. For some reason, I had this mental image of boxes and junk stacked against the walls, of old food boxes and dirty plates piled on coffee tables, a sink overflowing with weeks of food-encrusted dishes. I'd prepared myself for dusty furniture and broken lamps and a box TV that's now being used as a stand for their flatscreen.