24. Christmas Party

Today is the last day of the semester, but it's also the day of our long-awaited Christmas party. Twinkling red and green lights are draped over doorways and lining the floorboards of the entire circumference of the room. Trees wrapped in ribbon and dotted with gold and silver bulbs sit elegantly in each corner. I tilt my head as I listen to the cheery tunes dancing through the air, igniting a warmth in each heart. The center of the room is cleared for dancers, but only three couples make use of it.

It's a wonderland. A place where magic comes alive. The only thing throwing off the charm in the room is our clothing.

Ugly sweaters are everywhere. I see Laura, one of my dorm mates, walk by and I can't help but smile at the ridiculous sweater clinging to her body. She's taken a typical, burnt yellow knit sweater and then hung Christmas decorations all over the thing. I almost pity the girl. There aren't many men here who would brave the possibility of crashing into one of those bulbs and having it explode on them.

I see a few sweaters that are just simply ugly because that's how they were made in the factory, and I wonder if those people actually bought them at one point thinking they looked good. There's the typical grandma sweaters and a few that are made out of odd materials, like garbage bags and toilet paper—no joke. I'm sure Jamison had to have gone through a couple of dozen rolls to ensure durability. I offer an amused nod as he walks by, toilet paper trailing in his wake.

And then my eyes find Seth's.

He's on the other side of the room chatting it up with his buddies. My lips turn upward watching his animated gestures. He's so passionate about things. If only I could bring out that level of passion. All I wish is for him to feel a smidgen of that zest for me.

I watch as he listens intently to something Matt is saying, and I'm so captivated that I don't realize Seth has diverted his gaze from his friend until his eyes land on mine. He doesn't smile for a moment but just watches me. His left brow lifts just a hair and I can see the confusion that takes over his face.

He turns away from me for a moment, returning his focus to Matt, but within seconds his eyes have found mine again. I need to look away. I'm being way too obvious. But, I know that if I divert my gaze now, it'll look like I didn't want to get caught staring. So, instead of looking away, I smile and offer a simple wave.

His face softens and he nods in acknowledgment. I take this as my cue to head on over. He bounces his attention back and forth between Matt and me, and the moment I'm standing directly in front of him, he smiles. It's a genuine smile and I immediately feel warmth spread from the inside out.

"Hey Merc!" Matt says, breaking into the fragile moment Seth and I seemed wrapped in.

Seth blinks, and suddenly everything has returned to normal. He's no longer looking at me in a way that makes me think he's come to some astounding realization. Instead, he's just smiling. It's his friendly smile, the one he uses on everyone he's close to. And while I should feel special about finally breaking into his secluded group of friends, I don't.

Because I don't want to be his friend. I want—

No! I'm not going there. I will not let my thoughts sneak in that direction. Today—and for the rest of eternity—we are simply friends.

"Hey, guys," I say back, nudging Blake—a tall blonde guy with crooked teeth and beautiful hazel eyes—in the side with my elbow. He laughs and quickly leans down, pecking my cheek. We've barely hung out all year, but he always makes an effort to acknowledge me. He's the most affectionate person I think I've ever met. A quality that once made me extremely uncomfortable, but have since grown accustomed to.

"You look..." Seth steps back, letting his eyes roam over my body so he can take in a full view of my outfit. "Comfortable?"

I laugh at the look on his face. He's clearly amused by my sweater, but also very much concerned about my mental health.