20. Thanksgiving

We arrive Wednesday afternoon, and because Seth has to be back at school Sunday morning, we drove separately. Apparently, he's got some kind of sports meeting. I volunteered to call up his boss and demand he gets the entire Thanksgiving break off, but Seth dissuaded me. I guess one less day than everyone else wasn't that big of a deal for him. Had it been me, I'd have started a revolt.

"You ready?" I ask, a laundry basket heaped with just about every piece of clothing I own in my arms. I have to peer around the side of it to get a glimpse of Seth. He picks up his duffle bag and slings it over his head so it hangs diagonally across his torso.

"Yep."

If he's nervous about meeting my family, he doesn't show it. I feel as though he should try to prepare himself a little. My mom tends to lack the knowledge of 'personal space'. Thankfully, I've been around Seth enough to know that he's not deterred by physical touch. In fact, I think he really likes hugs. Odd, because, until I met him, I hated them.

We head up the front steps of my parent's home where Seth has to open the door. I take the lead, dropping my laundry by the door and then waving Seth inside. He sets his bag down and we head toward the music coming from the kitchen.

I'm relieved to see that my family is just as weird as I remember. My mom loves that initial 'shock factor' when she meets new people. I think it's her way of gauging who can handle her weirdness. The ones that stick around typically become lifelong friends.

I rest my shoulder against the frame of the large archway into the kitchen and silently watch the show. Seth is beside me, and from the corner of my eye, I can see that he's not even trying to hide his amusement. When I hear a quiet snort come from his direction, I laugh, elbowing him in the side.

The music is blaring loud enough that nobody has heard our approach yet. My mom's prancing around in a full-fledged Turkey costume, her massive fall-colored tail bouncing behind her. It's even got a dangly wattle that keeps slapping her in the face whenever she does a dramatic twirl. Beside her is my dad. He's also a turkey, but his is one of those massive inflatable costumes. The difference? Rather than a vibrant, happy, very alive turkey—like my mom—his has been plucked bare and has already been cooked.

"I'm ready!" I hear a voice holler from the top of the stairs.

Hope's yelling must snag my parent's attention and my mom spots us before I can even turn around.

"Mercy!" my mom screams, waddling toward me. "Hope! Mercy's here!"

"Yeah, I see that," Hope says from directly behind me.

I turn to find my sister dressed as a corncob, her face peering out of a small hole that sits amongst the yellow kernels.

I'm suddenly yanked into my mom's arms, her fluffy costume swallowing me whole. She kisses my entire face—cheeks, nose, forehead—and then grabs my shoulders to get a good look at me. Her face is serious, but I see the mischief dancing in her gray eyes.

"Is that him?" she asks, motioning her head in Seth's direction, not at all discreet.

I laugh. "Yes, this is Seth."

My mom throws her hands up to cover her mouth, fighting back a squeal. Then she reaches for Seth and tugs him into a crushing hug.

"Mom," I groan, even though I'm laughing. "Sometimes your excitement is just too big."

"Hi, sweetheart," my dad says softly, pushing my mom's tail out of the way so he can get a hug. "We missed you."

"Missed you too, dad." I snuggle into his warmth, loving his familiar scent. I've always thought he smelled safe. I wonder if there's anyone in Seth's life who smells safe to him.