19. Under the Moon

My weekend is quiet. I spend the majority of it with Emma and her friend Lindsey. She's exactly the type of person I'd never naturally gravitate toward, but it turns out she's pretty cool.

I do my best to block out thoughts of Seth and Cassandra, while simultaneously waiting for him to text. It's confusing to want something you don't want. I need to stop obsessing over him so much, I know that. And every day I try to convince my head to find other topics to be consumed by, but my heart is sly. If I smell something or see something that might remind me of Seth, my heart will bring attention to it by flopping around in my chest. Stupid thumping muscle.

Saturday and most of Sunday come and go before Seth finally texts. The moment I see his name pop up on my phone, I toss it on my bed and take a calming lap around my room. I have to remain in control of myself. He doesn't want me the way I want him. Acting all weird around him is just turning me into a fool.

I take a shower to give myself time to get my head on straight, and then after dressing, I check my phone.

You busy?

My thumbs hover over the keys, fumbling for a response. I don't dare start my response yet because I know I'll have to keep starting over with it. I'd hate for him to see the texting dots coming and going in my flustered attempt to word everything just right. It's a ridiculous worry, especially when I end up responding with nothing but a 'nope.'

Not even two seconds later, there's a knock on my door. I holler for whoever it is to come in, and a moment later, Seth is creaking the door open and peering in through a crack. When he spots me sitting on my bed, he pushes through the entrance and shuts the door behind him.

"So," he begins, grinning, "I was kind of already here and figured I should probably text first before bothering you."

"Oh." I nod once, slowly. "I just figured you might be The Flash."

He shoves his hands into his front pockets, ignoring my sarcasm as he drops his gaze to the floor and smiles. Then he clears his throat and levels a thoughtful glance at me.

"Wanna do something?"

His question sounds so innocent when paired with his uncharacteristic insecurity. For the first time, I think I'm witnessing a nervous Seth. Not nervous because he's about to reveal the shame of his past to me; nervous because he's with me. Shonice said he doesn't know how I feel, but what if he actually does. And what if that's making him uncomfortable?

"Yeah," I nod. "Like what?"

He shrugs. "No clue."

The laugh that passes his lips is adorable and I have to duck my head to conceal my smile.

"A movie?"

His suggestion is met with a nod of approval and I have Seth search the TV for the movie of his choice while I find snacks. I find a bag of popcorn and hurry to the communal kitchen down the hall to microwave it. In addition, I've also found some turkey jerky, multiple bags of chips, bottles of water, and some of Emma's skittles. We're all set.

Tossing all the comforters and pillows onto the floor, I begin making a cozy pallet for us to lounge on. Getting comfy, I tear open some chips and watch for the movie to begin. I sit cross-legged while Seth lays beside me and I find it to be surprisingly relaxing. I've managed to ignore my heart so that, for once, I'm able to sit beside Seth without being distracted.

When the movie is over, Seth rolls over onto his side to look at me, his head propped on his hand.

"Now what?" he asks, expectant.