Chapter Eighteen

Começar do início

Matt always started to smile with his teeth, but after he got braces, Matt pulled back and only pulled his lips. "So, uh," Matt said, glancing between Sam and Ned. Sam couldn't feel Ned moving or breathing, but he was all puffed out chest and squared shoulders. Matt withheld a snort. "This is Ned?"

"Hey, uh, what's up?" Ned said in a lower register and offered a handshake like they were two old retirees out gossiping on the golf course. "Thanks for helping us out. Sam and I..." Ned actually put his arm around Sam's shoulders. "We really appreciate it."

Sam bit down his lips, hating the way his stomach fluttered at the dumb fact Ned Flowers said "we". He paired them up together as one single disgustingly cute couple unit and Sam would feel more shame, if he hadn't already embarrassed himself to his breaking point tonight.

Matt was unruffled.

Sam once watched Matt get cornered by several people at the synagogue, asking what he meant when he said he was bisexual. Matt simply replied, "I meant what I said" and walked off. Matt didn't care. Someone could push him down the stairs and he'd get up, dust himself off and consider it the other guy's problem.

"Yeah, it's no trouble." Matt shrugged, really smiling now. A twinkle in his blue and green braces. He had obviously latched onto the fact that Ned did care. A lot. "I'd do anything for Sam. Honestly, I'm used to it."

Evil.

Absolutely evil.

Sam would like to kill them both.

Scowling at him, Sam grumbled. "Are you planning to let us inside or do you expect us to freeze out here?"

"Where are my manners? Come in, come in." Matt got out of the way, leading the charge into the foyer.

Under his breath, maybe so quiet Sam wasn't meant to hear it, Ned mumbled. "I'm taller than him."

Sam just smiled and shook his head. He nudged Ned a little, so maybe Matt wouldn't notice. Matt was offering snacks, water, or anything their hearts desired when a bedroom door opened on their way through the kitchen.

Matt's mother, Dina called out, "Matt? Was someone at the door?"

Suddenly, a vision of Sam's funeral passed before his eyes. His hand whipped out, smacking Matt with his full strength. Covering his mouth, Matt snorted and stumbled back. "Ow, Sam What was that for—?"

"You said your parents wouldn't leave their rooms!" Sam hissed.

"They usually don't when they start up a murder documentary!" He looked at Ned to let him in on the joke just to remind Ned that there was another world Sam lived in that didn't include him. "They're competitive. Always try to figure out who the murderer was first. Sam and I like to do the same thing—"

Scowling at him, Sam grabbed a chunk of Matt's side and twisted, making him both howl and laugh.

"Matt?" His mother called again, this time her voice horrifically close.

Grabbing Ned's arm, who was frozen out of fear, Sam yanked him into the pantry and shut the door. There was no light other than what was seeping through the slats in the door. Sam was so focused on listening out for Matt's mom, he hadn't realized how small the pantry was and how much room The Gregor took from Ned's back, pushing them against each other.

Sam's chest tightened; his cheek an eyelash away from resting on Ned's chest. He was suddenly so aware of his breathing, where he was looking, and every little move he made. His hands behind him, Sam used a shelf to hold himself up and from collapsing completely against Ned. His brain was fizzing faster than a busted coke can.