𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. THE RED HOODIE ORPHAN

・゚ೃ⁀➷ 𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐙𝐀𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐇
THE RED HOODIE ORPHAN

⠀⠀𝐋𝐈𝐙𝐙𝐈𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒𝐍'𝐓 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐖 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐓 𝐀𝐁𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐑𝐎𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐏𝐄𝐑

⠀⠀𝐋𝐈𝐙𝐙𝐈𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒𝐍'𝐓 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐖 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐓 𝐀𝐁𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐑𝐎𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐏𝐄𝐑. He wasn't a friend, he was barely an acquaintance, and they'd barely shared a few words since she set foot in Starling City but he was Serenity's ward and brother of sorts. She clearly cared a lot about him, and he did too. It was subtle, but Lizzie had trained her eye on him in suspicion seeing how cold he was in her presence. Well, not cold, per se, but not shy either. It was like he was ignoring her . . . or didn't know what to say. A sentiment that was shared by Lizzie.

⠀⠀But he did care about Serenity. She'd seen him take the grocery bags before Serenity could absentmindedly hold them with her injured arm, make her coffee before she went out for her morning run, ask her about her injuries trying to be subtle as if trying to say he didn't care while he clearly did. And he wasn't an asshole either, she'd seen how he was around his girlfriend the few times she was hanging out in the apartment. They looked at each other as if the other was hung on the moon, just like in a story. Or like Will and Tessa and Jem from that book Noah gave her.

⠀⠀She'd still been spending time with the brown-haired boys throughout the week and with Rome and Joe and Iris. Eddie still picked her up from school during his lunchtime and dropped her off at S.T.A.R. Labs to see Barry. Eventually, he'd realized that he'd seen her on her birthday, cried on her shoulder, and didn't even wish her.

⠀⠀She told him his advice to hear her sister out and hence put down the first step in mending a relationship that gave Lizzie much-needed support and distraction she'd needed from her problems was enough of a gift.

⠀⠀He didn't budge, and the next thing she knew was that she now owned two news books, fantasy with a hint of that victorian sprinkle Lizzie loved so much. And they were awesome. 

⠀⠀(Rome found it romantic.)

⠀⠀So, yeah, that was that.

⠀⠀Lizzie often rang Serenity up while in Central City, sometimes just for a vent and other times just to make sure she was well. Serenity sent her memes, every now and then, and told her about funny things that happened at work. She'd once told her in person it was best not to mention anything Artemis related on the phone for security reasons, so it was things from actual work. Maybe not from the present, then from the past from when she was in the GCPD or studying at Whitemore University where she held a part-time job as a self-defense instructor. The good 'ol days. 

⠀⠀She seemed to just know whenever Lizzie was having a bad day, and she was okay with that. In her own way, she helped more than she probably realized.

⠀⠀Despite everything that was happening, Lizzie had a feeling it would be okay. Maybe it was her nearly blind optimism, but she always had the feeling she wouldn't have made it as far as she did if it wasn't for her nearly blind optimism.