XXVIII. What has hurt the most

"Easy, Eunji, you don't need to be in such a hurry."

His dragoness is sometimes very dramatic. The first thing she did as soon as she was able to float into the garden, was to throw herself face first into the ground and grow many flowers. Some have darkly colored petal buds, others do not. The poison is just short of being completely out of his body, so it is natural for him to go for a little walk to get some fresh air on his own. Directly from the garden and not the open door of the room.

Seok stays with him to prevent him from having any incident. Taehyung is not at home, at least not quite. Jin leans on Seok for feeling a very strong low and weakness in his legs.

"What a silly dragon you are." grumbles Jin leaning on him. Seok wags his tail and gurgles. Eunji is still in place growing as much plant as she can. Jin pats Seok and the dragon rubs its head against his chest.

Jin hums softly, soon after Yune and Hikari approaches to take place next to him, wanting to listen to him. Many weeks without hearing anything from his voice, getting steadily louder and louder.

~ * * * ~

"Have you sent anything?"

"No. I have very steadfastly refused this and on many other occasions. I refuse to cooperate in this war" Mr. Choi grumbles with obvious annoyance. "If I give my help, it would be to prevent my children and grandchildren from inheriting even the slightest bit of my fortune. What we produce does not compensate for what it demands."

"I didn't know what such a thing did," Taehyung admits with concern. Choi had him called urgently and since nothing serious usually happens nearby, he rushed to see him. With good reason. "I haven't received any kind of message or demand from the capital." he mutters with his hand on his chin.

Lord Choi has received countless letters demanding resources. From workers becoming soldiers, assuring that, should they have children or grandchildren, they could have a good position in the army, increasing the likelihood if they have a dragon. From what he told, all the nobles in the territory have had the same bad luck. Some have given half-hearted collaborations, others have ignored such as Lord Choi and in the end have not sent anyone to be a soldier. No one has wanted it that way since the previous approach.

"I have no doubt they will come soon and you should be prepared for that" explains Lord Choi, who sips some of the tea served by his kisaeng. "Clearly, I can ask Jihyo to return to your house to pretend to be your kisaeng, but I'm afraid you must hide yours better. So that suspicion that he is with you is impossible."

"I have been able to hide him well so far. I don't think that-"

"If they sent an assassin after him, it may have been because they know or have a strong suspicion that he is here" He interrupts and Taehyung bites his lower lip. "You executed him as required by law, but at the same time, that helps them take for granted that there is an anomaly happening" The lord rubs his face with one hand, noticeably jaded and at the same time, cursing through his teeth. He didn't think of it that way. He wanted to get rid of the aggressor as soon as possible. "My wife and young children are going to a house we have near the coast a few days from here. No one knows of it, so your kisaeng can go with them."

"I don't want it to be a problem for you. Misfortunes can happen. It's better not to try to do something like that" sighs Taehyung. "Thank you for your kindness, Lord Choi. I trust I can effectively hide it together with the Japanese. Just like all these years."

"I hope so."

~ * * * ~

Taehyung pats Seok on the head who came to greet him as soon as he set foot inside the house. He saw Yune playing along with other children, with his dragon fluttering behind her. It's lovely to see her. He goes to Jin's room. Taehyung finds Jin hugging Eunji, breathing deeply and noticeably hyperventilating. Taehyung takes a seat next to him and gently pats his back.