XX. Firmness and protection

"The emperor's soldiers are approaching! Everyone to your shelters!" Order the servants at Taehyung's direction. The lord gives a snort, he had hoped they would take longer or come in the morning. Not this late. Something tells him they are going to excuse themselves to occupy his house.

"Go hide, now" he orders Jin who presses his lips together. "What's wrong with you?"

"Is there something you hold dear? Something that has belonged to your family for many generations?"

Taehyung ponders for a moment and points to a notoriously old jewelry box. Jin takes it and walks away without another word. Taehyung turns to continue his view out the window. He checks that everyone is taking their places and that they don't think of being too absent-minded. By the time the familiar soldiers arrive, everything is under perfect control. Yesterday he asked Mr. Choi for his kisaeng again and he, knowing the situation, allowed it without any problem.

~ * * * ~

"Jin Are we going to die?"

Jin shakes his head, having the girl sitting on his legs and leaning against him. He curses the day he taught her the word 'die'. "Whenever he sees commotion he asks that question: 'Am I going to die? Am I going to be with mommy?' He presses her against himself and rests his cheek on her head. Eunji gurgles as she lies on the floor on several scattered cushions. Small dragons and some infantile ones lie down on her to seek her warmth and reassurance. Seok emerges from the ground suddenly, pressing his snout to Eunji's and causing her to growl at him.

"Ah, how trusting he is, letting his dragon go around."

"Huh?"

Jin wishes Taehyung would take the situation more seriously or at least, with less sense of humor and bitterness. He's aware that he's going to get robbed and annoyed a lot, even with the possibility of them staying there to sleep. He looks up due to a bit of earth falling on him and the almost imperceptible shaking that happens.

~ * * * ~

"I understand that the emperor merits monetary support, however, it's about my private belongings. I can-"

"He also merits men to serve in the army. I understand that your workers are just that, but they must serve a function beyond picking vegetables."

Taehyung begins to lose patience like he's never had before. Not enough that they are taking family belongings, they insinuate- no, they force him to send his workers to the army because there are "few troops". They are farmers, carpenters and some seamstresses To send them would be to condemn them to death under any circumstances! The excuse is that they must serve the emperor.

A real hoax.

"My workers are not fighters. The vast majority don't even have dragon or they would be able to defend themselves."

"Orders are orders and I must take half the men employed with me." Concludes the captain without heeding him. Taehyung clenches his fists and a slight tremor is felt.

"They won't. I refused to let them take anyone from here."

"Mister-"

"Lord, Kim."

"My lord, these are direct orders from the-"

"Orders that I have the right to refuse to carry out, as well as demand that you return my belongings to me if you don't want me to bury them underground" Taehyung threatens aggressively and grumpily. The servants watching the scene are shocked by him Taehyung had never spoken like this to anyone before. Not even people who directly annoyed him. Not to mention that he is a strange threat. They don't know he has dragon. "I order you to leave my territory before you try my patience any further."

"Do you think that will be taken into account by our emperor? If you attacks us-"

"He won't care" Taehyung approaches and narrows his eyes. His gruff, serious expression helps to intimidate. "Because the one with the fortune, a capable dragon and unconquered lands is me. You are useless pawns sent to deal with the situation. Now, get out. This is the last time I will tell you."

The captain, clearly displeased and offended walks away, keeping the fact that Taehyung has dragon and does not have it registered to the state. However, as Taehyung imagined, he sees that he orders his men to take food, the odd other thing from the stores, stables and so on; not to mention the damage they do to the property. He doesn't care. That he can recover more easily and if they get the hell out of there he'll be satisfied.

"Make a count of what they took to start with the recovery. And repairs starting tomorrow."

"My lord-"

"I also want everyone to sleep in rooms together. There will be a head count in the morning" Taehyung concludes, tucking his hands under his sleeves. "And the cave will not be opened for another week. When they are gone and won't come back to swindle us out of anything."

"My lord," Taehyung stops his pacing. "Why not turn us in? We'd go to fight for you. This might make them want to enlist you."

"How could I give anyone of you to them? You aren't warriors. I refuse to allow such an atrocity as sending inexperienced people to fight. All of you are people and we don't believe in this war Why should I help them continue?"

They are shocked no more How else to react to Taehyung caring for them so much?

. . .

"My lord Taehyung says that we will leave within a week for taking care of our welfare" Jin announces with the message that Taehyung sent through Seok. "It will be best to take good places until we can leave." He concludes and the others start searching to spend the time it will take to open the cave.

The girl takes Jin by the hand and leads him to the small house where she lives. She hugs him with a huge smile.

"Jin nii-chan will sleep with me, he'll sent away the nightmares!"

"This beautiful face will take care of that for you." Jin assures giving him kisses all over his face. The little girl giggles and lets go. Pleased and happy. It would be a nice few days without being separated at all. Eunji also hugs her and rubs her body.

The little girl without parents with whom he lost many children. A perfect combination.