XVIII. Unwanted and unexpected visits

To Taehyung's surprise and almost annoyance, lowering the dome wall he made is eighty times easier than making it grow to begin with. An irony of fate more than terrible and cruel if it is his turn to have an opinion about it. He has let another two months pass and with no attacks, he felt it was a good time to reduce it in height. Allow more sunlight to pass through, so that people can come without feeling that they see an impenetrable mountain.

In the end the issue was resolved so easily that it gives him satisfaction. They did not need anyone's help. From the emperor, other peoples or regions, nothing. They were able to do it on their own. The only thing that makes him sad is that he doesn't know if he will be able to keep the trees Jin made at the tip.

They are all beautiful, varying in color in their leaves and flowers. The thick, strong roots cling as tightly as possible to the earth and the vibe Taehyung gets is one of slight panic that they will topple over.

"Try not to overexert yourself. You might end up in the same aching state as before." warns Jin who approaches. Eunji gurgles It took a lot to make those trees and now Taehyung is going to throw them away!

"I keep that in mind, but this is much easier. I don't think anything will happen to me." Taehyung states confidently. Jin approaches and Taehyung leans back, intimidated by his perfect face just inches away from his. The kisaeng carefully analyzes Taehyung's face.

"Just because it doesn't hurt doesn't mean there's nothing wrong" Jin takes a distance. "It already has part of his eyelid set in stone and you haven't noticed. If it continues, it will most likely consume his face and part of his arm."

Taehyung brings a hand to his face and senses the rocky texture. He sees Jin, who is walking away at a slow pace. Surely to go see the Japanese and give them their lessons for the day. He gives a gentle kick to Seok, who foolishly gives a long sigh for Eunji who waves gracefully beside Jin.

Like user, like dragon.

In both cases, for the worse.

~ * * * ~

A whole month has passed since he started to lower the wall and nothing happened, he did not perceive any extravagant change or that he can notice as an upcoming attack. This is a great relief, it means they are going to be left alone. With a lot of luck he can also predict that the war is entering its final stretch, which he doubts very much, but he would like to be optimistic. Jin looks a little more relaxed and for Taehyung it is already an achievement to celebrate.

On the other hand, something relevant happened today. He feels a slight vibration on the ground, not strong enough to consider that it is close, or that it is a platoon of Japanese enemies with the intention of attacking them, but noticeable enough to differentiate that it is not a simple visit; some merchant or it could be a visit from distant nobles, perhaps a traveling group. He has doubts about this, so he has put all the nobles in the area on notice.

"My lord!" Taehyung turns to one of the interpreters the Japanese have. "We sent someone to see what he senses is all about."

"Yes? Did you find out anything?"

"It's about a platoon with mugunghwa flags. I mean, these are troops of the emperor. They are-"

They both turn their heads, Jin stammers and leaves without picking up the teapot he just dropped on the floor. Taehyung asks him to leave and warns the others that he will close the cave for a period of time. As long as the emperor's men here last. He gets Jin in his room, arguing with his dragoness who seems reluctant to whatever he tells her.

"Is something wrong?" Jin suffers a startle from Taehyung. "Do you have a problem with the emperor's troops approaching?"

"It's...it's just that.... I-I-"

"You told me you were the emperor's kisaeng Why would it be a problem?" Jin lowers his head, nervous and upset. Taehyung gives a tired sigh. "Listen, you don't have to panic. Maybe they just want to know if there have been attacks here and-"

"They're going to want to take you. You have to... You have Y-you have to hide your dragon and.... y... get-get down the whole wall NOW!"

It's perhaps the first time he's ever felt it this distressed.

"They wouldn't take me. I'm noble and they're not going to take na-"

"Why do you still think it matters!? DON'T BE FOOLISH! They're going to kill you and-!"

He holds his hands to his head. Taehyung doesn't get to say anything else to him because there are bells announcing the arrival of a visitor. He sends Seok to close the cave where the Japanese are and runs with Jin to a specific corner of the house. He opens the floor, there are some wooden stairs extending. He hands him a lantern with oil.

"Don't come out until I tell you to do it OK?"

Jin goes to the bottom, Taehyung closes the door and puts a futon on top. It's a lucky thing that this room is one of those where he sometimes comes to laze around .

. . .

"Welcome to my territory" greets Taehyung cordially. He uses his gat and keeps his hands behind his back. "Has something specific happened to make you come here? The attacks have stopped and I think you are a little late to the call my neighbors made." he comments eloquently. The captain of the group approaches, he bows respectfully.

"Yes indeed my lord, we have a purpose for coming here. We regret that we did not come sooner. You understand, from Hanyang, it is complicated to get here" Taehyung nods. "We are looking for a person. It's about a man who ran away from his military conscription ordered by Emperor Min Ho-Joon."

"Oh? Really?" he says in surprise. "Who is it about? I haven't had visitors in a long time and as far as my friends have told me, neither have they."

"It's about a former kisaeng of the emperor. He's been wanted for several months now" He holds out a scroll to him and Taehyung spreads it out to read. "I'm afraid I'll have to record that it's true what you say my lord."

Taehyung furrows his eyebrows as he scrolls past the words on the paper. It's a failed recruitment order and death sentence for missing it. Not to mention it brings attached that Jin is listed as the emperor's concubine at the same time as kisaeng Haengsu. His property. Paid and maintained in full.

The paper even mentions that he has other crimes such as fraud, swindling and murder of heirs. Taehyung is so stunned that he does not manage to stop the soldiers who enter his house to check that Jin is not in there. At the same time, he considers that...

The captain admits having received the calls and they did not come to help them. Even though if they had stayed waiting, they would have killed them all. They came only to look for Jin. That is the order they received. He gives a jump before running inside. He has to hide anything that might look like Jin.

"Tell Mr. Choi to send me one of his kisaengs whichever one it is and I'll tell him later what it's about." The servant bows and hurries off as his master ordered. Taehyung joins the squadron captain and goes about hiding with earth floral ornaments that could only have been made by someone with dragon blossom.

"This person... Is he very dangerous?"

"Indeed."

"Oh..."

"Maybe he's with one of his workers."

"Why would that be?"

"He's just a prostitute. Maybe he's currying favor with someone to let him stay."

Taehyung purses his lips. Maybe it's his time to know a few things.